Monday, August 29, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Okay, planning my solar charging installation.

 

Yeah I am okay with having 111v between the array and the controller, I think. I am not concerned about resale and I would probably just strip the boat of useful bits and scrap the hull for the lead and bronze and stuff if I was moving up to a bigger hull. I was actually thinking recently of going with 96v on the propulsion bank. Changed my mind on that, but  am okay with higher voltages in general. One hand rule and all that.

So lets say the temp got down to 40, or even 30. If you are a celsius kinda guy, that means a hair below the freezing point of fresh water. How high do you think the voltage could go, on a panel rated at 37VOC? I only have to keep them slightly below 50V. OTOH, I do think that 37vx2 for 74VOC would be acceptable, too. So I can only produce electricity from say 10:00 to say 4:00... that wouldn't be so bad. Don't get much charging with the sun that low, anyway. A temperature controlled relay on the 111v array would maybe be another option, though. A NO relay that closes at say 40°f or higher, maybe, or even 50°f. That way unless the temperature is above the safety temp, the controller would not get any input from the array. Or I could even automatically dump the power into a water heater or something.

A quick look around didn't show me any controllers rated for higher input voltages, so it looks like I will have to work with a limit of 150v.

I hear and appreciate your warning! I just want to consider it all carefully, because the voltage question is one that I want to decide once and for all, and not change my mind on, later. I dont want any regrets on down the line after spending hundreds of $ or even thousands, for my solar energy system.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment