Monday, August 29, 2016

[Electric Boats] Re: Okay, planning my solar charging installation.

 

So you mean you would get 111v out of a 37v panel in the summer? 3x the rated VOC? Not sure I understand you correctly. I guess my real question is how high can peak voltage go, on a panel rated at 37VOC? If you are seeing 3x the rated voltage, than even two panels in series would be too much for a 150v rated controller.

I will probably get a small gasoline generator, but not just yet. I don't want any gasoline or gasoline appliances whatsoever inside the hull, period. So I will probably be building a small patent stern or a rack of some kind for mounting and storing that outboard of the vessel. I do have a small rail mounted grill but I only use it at the dock, and I distrust it highly. My cooking at present is in an electric pressure cooker that doubles as a crockpot, an induction cooker and cast iron skillet, and my trusty all brass Indian made Primus style "roarer" burner that runs nicely on kerosene or diesel as well as more incindiary liquids like the hated gasoline or "white gas" camp stove fuel. The Primus does require a bit of attention, and must be primed with alcohol to start it, but I love it. The induction cooktop is marvelous with a cast iron pan, and the electric pressure cooker is sheer genius. Underway I actually try to avoid cooking when possible. I cook with a can opener a lot, maybe make 3 or 4 days worth of rice at a time on the primus. Lately, not having sails any more, it is all day trips anyhow.  So anyway, no propane on my boat even though I do use a brushless motor. Honestly I would rather cook on hydrogen than propane... at least it is lighter than air and will vent if allowed to do so. Propane? Perfect for some folks, but not for me.

I have switched to LED lighting for house and nav lights, already. Love it. I will be making a chest style refrigerator out of a small chest freezer. Front opening fridges are very wasteful, and if you don't secure the door, it is always swinging open on a boat. My biggest house load is the air conditioner, very nearly a necessity where I am. Here again, I think I can actually homebrew something way more efficient than the window unit I am using. So yeah I do think I can get by with solar. 2kw nominal even in real world conditions is still a significant amount of power, and with a backup genset I think I would be ready for the next Katrina, or to make a move somewhere or just take a liesurely bayou cruise. Most guys who whine about the limitations of living with solar power on the boat are messing about with 300w or 400w systems. I may have to do without the air conditioning at times, but I have made do with less, believe me.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (12)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment