Friday, August 26, 2016

[Electric Boats] Re: safety with portable generators

 

Hi Scepticus,

Here's my setup in the photo below. The genny is bolted to 2 stainless rails so it is fixed and always ready for use and plugged into my AC shore supply which goes through a GFI breaker and galvanic isolater before my chargers. I carry one 5l can of petrol in the old gas locker, below the seat you see the genny mounted on, which vents to sea. When not in use the genny has a waterproof cover.

Fumes exit to the rear of the boat behind the helmsman. Refilling is done when genny motor is cold using a funnel. I only run the Honda 1 kVA which is 900 Watts continuous output. The 2kVA is actually 1,600 Watts continuous and cost 50% more than the 1 kVA. The 2 kVA is exactly the same engine but just runs faster hence more noise. With my 900 Watts output I have about 1,100 Watts of chargers for my propulsion bank but can dial back the charge current to ensure the generator runs at full load and does not overload, which results in around 750 Watts getting to the batteries, so that is what I have for real time running without depleting the batteries which is around 3.5 knots.

However if I want a short term boost my charger/inverter has something called power assist which means the 700 Watt continuous rated inverter can take that from my separate house bank giving me a total of 1,600 Watts of power by combining the genny and house bank inverter power. In that case I can have 1,100 Watts to my propulsion chargers with 500 Watts spare for a toasted sandwich on my AC powered grill;) This is just short term but if my propulsion bank was nearly flat and my house bank still had charge it gives a nice 1,600 Watts (if I had more than 1,100 Watts of chargers) available to the propulsion chargers to get me back into a marina.



John R.
https://www.facebook.com/ElektraYachts

 



---In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, <jps69@...> wrote :

I've been lurking here for quite some time and enjoying the various discussions.  However I don't recall seeing anything addressing this issue.


I've seen several people say that they run a portable generator like the honda 2000 to extend their range.


What precautions (if any) regarding gasoline fumes and carbon monoxide exhaust are people taking to make this a safe option?



 

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment