Thursday, August 25, 2016

[Electric Boats] Re: Latest Speed/Power Figures

 

It WAS the wrong shunt resistor. On removal and inspecction, it was clearly stamped on the underside, "100a 75mv". Oops. I found a correct 100a 50mv shunt in my electrical junk, and switched them out. So, while I probably had increased current for a given speed in the last round of tests due to voltage drops across iffy connections, this increased current was also apparently overreported by the ammeter,    by 50%! So this goes far in explaining why current/speed was so high, and why my 10hr, 10a dock trial left extra juice in the bank. I was actually running at about 6.7a while the meter was reading 10a, expending a total of 67ah instead of 100ah. with  expected Peukert and other losses of around 7% at such a gentle discharge rate, that works out about right. So still, the batteries are performing at pretty close to new factory fresh levels. I won't bother repeating that test again for another year.

Looks like thunderstorms today so even when the batts are topped up I won't be able to speed test. Hopefully first thing in the morning. With this discovery and correction in my instrumentation, and hopefully rigging a 20 point light so I have legal navigation lights, it will still have been a productive day. Maybe I will borrow a windohs computerr from somebody (I run linux and the configuration utility for tthe controller only runs in windoze.) I will make sure that the max battery current and motor current are where they need to be. I didn't think about that before but the DC into the controller should be about 1.43x the motor current, and that may be part of the reason I never got the expected power level out of the old controller. It was limited by the max battery current setting, I think, which I probably set equal to motor current limit. Documentation for these Kelly controllers is not what it could be.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment