Sunday, April 4, 2010

RE: [Electric Boats] Re: Pure or mostly solar powered boat?

 

Hi All.
I am a newbie on this list. Mostly subscribed out of curiosity, although I
have a 32 ft sailing catamaran which may be a candidate for electric power
when the outboard dies.

My interests include multihull yachts and small displacement power boats,
both of which I design and repair.

I agree that heavy keeled sailboats are a bit wasted as electric powerboats,
but many old multihulls, centreboard trailer yachts and unballasted yachts,
like catboats, have excellent hulls for low powered motoring. In NZ some
people use old Hartley trailer sailers, 16 to 22 ft plywood centreboarders,
with the rig removed and 2 to 10 hp outboards for fishing.
I don't know about the States, but nearly all powerboat hulls available are
non-displacement.

Regards
Kerry Thomas

www.altairmarine.co.nz

-----Original Message-----
From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of luv2bsailin
Sent: Monday, 5 April 2010 10:43 a.m.
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Pure or mostly solar powered boat?

Hi Red,
What Dan said about hull shapes rings true, though I wouldn't rule out
sailboats entirely.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment