Thursday, April 29, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Hello! Looking for good advice about converting a large sailboat from diesel to electric

 

Pen,
Another welcome from California (37.697210, -122.192690 in GoogleMaps, end tie). I electrified our 17 ton Herreshoff 55' Marco Polo. Pulled out the stink-bomb diesel and put in an old GE forklift DC series motor with one thousand pounds (96volts) of old batteries. Now it is a 16 ton H55. I can still motor slow for 10 miles. The maneuvering is much much better, since I get such precise control from the electric motor.
Anyone on here from Galveston Bay, Texas (the Clear Lake side) that could show off their e-boat to Penelope? Could anyone make time for the TimeChick?

Mark Stafford
GreenMarineRePower.org

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Penelope L. McFadin" <timechick@...> wrote:
>
> Hello! I found your list last night. I have a 37 foot '79 Hunter
> Cherobini Sailboat that I want to take the old nasty diesel engine out
> and replace it with a clean electric motor. Has anyone done this for a
> sailboat this large? Just how much power would I need and how much
> battery will that require?
>
> I just want to be able to maneuver in and out of the dock for the most
> part without freaking out the harbormaster. He is under the impression
> that you can't have a boat without an engine. Else I'd just rip the
> thing out and use the compartment for a sail loft. lol I mean, we've
> been sailing boats for 3000 years without engines, but dang if people
> don't freak out when you talk about going engineless. Gawd I hate diesels.
>
> Any good advice out there?
>
> --
> Penelope L. McFadin
> lux libertas et caritas
> http://chaosbutterfly.com/
> http://www.cafepress.com/chaosbutterfly
> 29N32'32.45" 95W2'12.58"
>

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment