Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Chris Craft Capri 30'

 

Welcome James, Dave K here, I've never regretted the conversion from gas to electric.  I haven't had a lot of time using mine yet but will before very long.   Your in a pretty exclusive group with the ownership of the Capri, there were not many made.  I hope my website was helpful to you, if you have questions specifically about the conversion of my Capri please drop me a note off list.  Best of luck to you and your conversion.  Dave K

--- On Fri, 4/23/10, oleliver <oleliver@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: oleliver <oleliver@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Chris Craft Capri 30'
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, April 23, 2010, 2:02 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to convert a Chris Craft Capri 30 sailboat to electric drive (same boat as Dave's Redeemed CC).  The diesel is dead, and I'm looking to re-power the boat and make her a day/weekend sailor on the Texas coast.  Cost is a major factor here.

The boat is 30 feet long and she displaces about 12,000 pounds.  I'm seriously considering getting the 8.5kw thunderstruck kit.  I've spoken with them, and they thought that it would work fine, but I might not hit hull speed (fine by me).

The boat was gifted to my wife and me, and needs a lot of work.  I don't know much about sailboats (I have sailed a sunfish).  I'm probably in way over my head, but I'm of the opinion it's the best way to learn, and I've never had a bad time on someone elses sailboat...  There are a lot of competent people around me when it comes to sailing, rigging, etc. but nobody's repowered with electric.

I don't need to go very far with this boat, just out of the marina and down the channel a little way.  I would like to be able to go about 7 miles or so so I can back from a near offshore cruise if I had to.

I'm planning on using 8 trojan T-105 golf cart batteries for now, and I may add some AGMs as funds permit. 

The things that are confusing to me right now are:

1) Drivetrains.  I like the simplicity of pulley systems (timing belts), but the shaft couplers and thrust bearings and mounts are confusing me.  I have compiled a page that shows all of the photographs I could find.  It can be found here: http://www.stubbornroses.com/~james/saildrive.htm  I hope that nobody objects that I've done this.

2) Flexible Couplers.  It appears that the majority of people (based on pictures) are using radiator hose (or some other rubber hose) and hose clamps.  This looks like a clever idea, but how long do they last?  Is there any worry about losing the prop and shaft if it comes apart? Propulsion Marine looks like they have some interesting ideas, but it's out of my price range. http://www.propulsionmarine.com/price_list.htm

3) Thrust bearings: Where are you guys sourcing these?  for examples, see above page and look at "Second Wind", "S-EV Escape San Francisco", "Starcraft", or a hub? in the case of "Redeemed CC".  In addition is there a bearing and flange on each side of the bracket (behind the pulley)?

4) Spreadsheet Confusion:  I keep reading about increased efficiency by up-sizing the prop; however, when I do that on the spreadsheet the range drops to nil (changing the gear ratio to match).

5) Batteries:  How do you vent these suckers (trojan t105)? Do they have a tube like a motorcycle battery?

For now, I may just stick to around a 2:1 gear ratio and just see if it works, but in the meantime I have an engine to pull, and I need to learn how to apply fiberglass...

I'm looking forward to your comments.

Regards,

James








------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment