Wednesday, April 21, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Drivetrain details

 

Why not use a Browning industrial gear like those sold by Propulsion Marine in Santa Barbara? More durable than belts and acts as a heat sink to the motor....

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "vjmtymo" <vjmtymo@...> wrote:
>
> Years ago I jumped into the group trying to figure out the particulars of e-drive in my 36ft sailboat. At the time, I thought it wouldn't work but am now having quasi-sublime second thoughts, particularly as I prepare to lug the diesel out of the garage and, somehow, up into the hull. If you're rolling around on the ground saying "I told you he'd be back" well, get it all out of your system and then read on.
> I've heard 48v is too much, just right, and of course, not enough. A local Canadian EV shop in the neighbourhood recommends 72v, but I have my doubts. Maybe I should just jump in with both feet and see what happens, so, having priced out and sourced all the parts for an Etek RT system in 48v, I now need the drive system parts. Kind souls of this forum sent good info on how to use a trailer hub for a thrust bearing (Dave?) and pillow blocks (others). My boat is steel, my medium is steel, and I've got enough scrap left over to make any kind of frame for the motor etc. I'm just a bit hung up on the pulley thing: the shaft for the Etek is 7/8 with a keyway. How do you connect this to an off-the-shelf synchronous pulley? Is there one that has range for this shaft? Where do I get it (them) to obtain decent reduction around 2:1? Please excuse my lack of power transmission knowledge.
> So, if anyone's up for downloading their know-how yet one more time, I'd greatly appreciate it. In the meantime, I'll chase a few crows if that helps.
>
> Victor
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment