Thursday, April 22, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Hello electric boat fans

 

Mike,

So you just unplugged the charger then reconnected and it started charging again? That's good to know. I would guess the "time-out" time period would be information the charger manufacturer should have. Knowing that you should be able to cycle through off/on regularly and have no interruption in power. Right?

Mark

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Mike <biankablog@...> wrote:
>
> "Another thing to consider is what happens to your charger if you use it
> as a power supply. For example, you run your generator to feed your
> charger and motor the boat under electric power without drawing down the
> batteries. Not all chargers can handle this type of usage. Some
> chargers will believe there is a battery fault if they are running at
> 20A all the time. They expect the "batteries" to eventually get full
> and they apparently never do. I think Mike from
> http://biankablog. blogspot. com can expand more on this from his experience."
>  
>  
> I believe Jason is right about the battery chargers  "going dumb" on occassion. I was doing some extended motoring using my ZIVAN NG-1 and running it flat out with the Honda 2000 providing power. At the time I did not have a functioning current meter so I was cruising along when several hours later I began to notice that the battery bank voltage was dropping but, the Zivan charger still had a green light. So I kept moving along.  When the battery bank voltage hit 48 volts I figured there was some kind of problem. I disconnected the Zivan from the Honda generator and reconnected it and the charger started to charge again (red light = bulk charge). If I had a functioning current meter I would have noticed that the battery charger had gone into a fault mode much sooner and reset of the charger earlier which would have prevented the increased draw down of the battery bank. I have since been able to repair the defective current meter
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2009/12/going-electric-repairing-zantrex-xbm.html I have also added the current probe to my Paktraker meter so I have two places to keep an eye on current draw from the battery bank.  IMO it's important diagonostic tool that justifies having a backup place to read the current.
>  
> Capt. Mike
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com
>  
>
>
>
> --- On Wed, 4/21/10, dwolfe@... <dwolfe@...> wrote:
>
>
> From: dwolfe@... <dwolfe@...>
> Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Hello electric boat fans
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 4:34 PM
>
>
>  
>
>
>
>
> It would cost around $2500 for just the parts to create an electric inboard installation, batteries not included.  Some engineering skill and a fair bit of labor is needed to complete the install and keep the blue smoke inside the controller;)
>   If you have an outboard mount already I'd think the Torqeedo is your best option.
> Check with Todd at Epower marine, he is very knowledgable about Torqeedo motors.
>  
> Denny
>
>
>
>
>  
>  
>
> Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use
>
>
> .
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment