Saturday, April 24, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Conversion of Traditional Thai fishing boat to Electric

 


Hi John,

Thank you for the offer. Certainly, feel free to share some more information with me. I am at an exploratory stage and any idea is welcome.
Let me know how you would feel comfortable sharing those data with me.

Best Regards,
Christian

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, John Raynes <johncraynes@...> wrote:
>
> Christian,
>
> I may be able to help yuou wioth data from my recent 26' electric
> conversion.
>
> John
>
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM, cpatouraux <cpatoura@...> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a small charity shipyard in Thailand where we build boats for
> > fishermen.
> > I have been doing this since the tsunami which I lived through in 2004 and
> > so far we have already built 88 of those boats.
> >
> > Those boats are usually called "long tail" boats because they use engine
> > mounted on a swivel on the aft deck and a long shaft driven straight into
> > the water from the deck. I will try to post a few pictures.
> > Now most of those coastal fishermen are no longer using the boats because
> > the fuel price has become too high to pay with the sales of their catch.
> > We successfully converted one of those boats to a sailboat last August, but
> > the issue is that most fishermen are.. well.. fishermen and not sailors.
> > So now I am considering the electric option and any help, guidance and
> > advice would be very welcome.
> > The boats are somewhere between 30 and 40 feet and the engines that we have
> > been using were 11HP Yanmar, so I think I could replace those with a 5kW
> > with similar max RPMs as the Yanmar and use the same propellers. My idea
> > would be to build an inboard motor and drive the shaft straight through the
> > stern and use a rudder. The power would come from LFP batteries.
> > Those boats cannot have a propeller shaft or a drive protruding under the
> > hull because they rest on the sand at low tide.
> > My main concern with all this is what parts to use and especially how to
> > protect them from seawater.
> > I have tried procuring a 5kW BLDC motor from China through the sites
> > Alibaba and Globalsources for the last 2 months but they are unable to
> > demonstrate their quality, give me efficiency curves, etc... so now I have
> > turned to US products and started the search a few days ago. But I am quite
> > concerned as to how how protect the assembly from seawater.
> > I managed to secure good LFP batteries at $1.5 per AH so at least that s
> > good.
> > So once again, any suggestions and recommendation on what parts to use,
> > would be most welcome. Oh and yes, it is a charity, so my budget is limited
> > for this prototype. Probably less than 3 thousand US without the batteries.
> >
> > Thank you..
> > Christian
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment