Saturday, April 24, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Conversion of Traditional Thai fishing boat to Electric

 

Hello,

Thank you very much for your offer to donate your drive. I really appreciate and I may take you up on the offer to test it but because those boats rest on the sand at low tide, I would first have to devise a sturdy rudder or some sort of small keel to prevent the hull from crushing the propeller and shaft at low tide. I will keep you posted.

About the charity, we have been active since early 2005 and we operate two small shipyards, one in a tiny village called BangBen on the Thai coast, 45km south of the tip of Myanmar and another one in a slightly largest village of Kuraburi, about 30km south of the first one.
The nearest town is Ranong, 40km north of the first shipyard if you want to google it. These days the shipyards are functioning at a very reduced pace depending on the funds and sometimes discontinue activities for many months.

Regarding the long shaft coupled with the V8, I believe you must have a different boat in mind. The motors we used were 11hp monocylinder diesel yanmar. I will try to post some pictures to avoid confusion.

Thank you and best regards
Christian

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "rmugfor" <rmugfor@...> wrote:
>
> If I'm thinking of the same boat.The reason it had the long shaft was to compensate for the weight of V8 car motor so if you building the boats you can redesign to a shorter shaft and a rudder.If you want to go electric the motor is going to have to be protected from the salt water and that means covered.Lead acid batteries would work, I live on a houseboat on the anchor I have 8 - 6 volt batteries wired for 12 volts that are running a ac refrigerator with freezer a TV and satellite.I run them down to 11.4 everyday and charge them back up to 13.7 to 14.0 every night,with a 75 amp 3 stage from a RV.I do this with a 2000 honda in 4 hours.It takes a 1/2 gallon of gas.I've been doing this on these same batteries for over three years. I'm sure these are open boats so they have to be put in a enclosure,acid and bear feet don't mix. You can use any electric motor to save money.I have a GE 10hp motor mounted to a V drive with a 4 foot shaft.It runs very strong on 24 or 36 volts.There are pictures on here somewhere or I can send you them.
> If you are a real charity e mail me at my e address and I'll donate it if we can come up with some way to get it to you.I've got 500.00 in it but maybe you can do it cheaper.
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "cpatouraux" <cpatoura@> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a small charity shipyard in Thailand where we build boats for fishermen.
> > I have been doing this since the tsunami which I lived through in 2004 and so far we have already built 88 of those boats.
> >
> > Those boats are usually called "long tail" boats because they use engine mounted on a swivel on the aft deck and a long shaft driven straight into the water from the deck. I will try to post a few pictures.
> > Now most of those coastal fishermen are no longer using the boats because the fuel price has become too high to pay with the sales of their catch.
> > We successfully converted one of those boats to a sailboat last August, but the issue is that most fishermen are.. well.. fishermen and not sailors.
> > So now I am considering the electric option and any help, guidance and advice would be very welcome.
> > The boats are somewhere between 30 and 40 feet and the engines that we have been using were 11HP Yanmar, so I think I could replace those with a 5kW with similar max RPMs as the Yanmar and use the same propellers. My idea would be to build an inboard motor and drive the shaft straight through the stern and use a rudder. The power would come from LFP batteries.
> > Those boats cannot have a propeller shaft or a drive protruding under the hull because they rest on the sand at low tide.
> > My main concern with all this is what parts to use and especially how to protect them from seawater.
> > I have tried procuring a 5kW BLDC motor from China through the sites Alibaba and Globalsources for the last 2 months but they are unable to demonstrate their quality, give me efficiency curves, etc... so now I have turned to US products and started the search a few days ago. But I am quite concerned as to how how protect the assembly from seawater.
> > I managed to secure good LFP batteries at $1.5 per AH so at least that s good.
> > So once again, any suggestions and recommendation on what parts to use, would be most welcome. Oh and yes, it is a charity, so my budget is limited for this prototype. Probably less than 3 thousand US without the batteries.
> >
> > Thank you..
> > Christian
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment