Wednesday, April 21, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Drivetrain details

 

Eric

The boat is a steel Swain 36 of about 18,500# displ. I will be finished building it in a month or two. I know of a 48V Electric Yacht conversion somewhere in WA that is even greater displacement. Hitting hull speed isn't my intention (although it would be luxurious) nor is motoring around on calm days. I'm aiming for a 255Ah pack.
One of the newer bolt in replacement of the Etek (Mars 709) is the intended drive motor and runs up to 72v so I can in the future bump things up a bit if necessary.
Thanks for the pointers.

Victor

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>
> Victor,
>
> You may find that an Etek motor is somewhat undersized for a 36' sailboat (you didn't say what kind of boat). These motors are typically rated around 5kW continuous, so you may not be able to reach much above 5kts, even at full throttle. The good news is that other, larger motors are available that should be a bolt on replacement, if you find that you need more power once your conversion is complete.
>
> The other consideration is your batteries. Because of the energy required to move larger boats, you will likely need a large battery bank. Recent discussions here have equated 10kWh usable to about 1 gallon of gas or 10% less of diesel. So you should be aiming for a battery bank that is rated above 300Ah at 48V to get that kind of range.
>
> Fair winds,
> Eric
> Marina del Rey, CA
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "vjmtymo" <vjmtymo@> wrote:
> >
> > Years ago I jumped into the group trying to figure out the particulars of e-drive in my 36ft sailboat. At the time, I thought it wouldn't work but am now having quasi-sublime second thoughts, particularly as I prepare to lug the diesel out of the garage and, somehow, up into the hull. If you're rolling around on the ground saying "I told you he'd be back" well, get it all out of your system and then read on.
> > I've heard 48v is too much, just right, and of course, not enough. A local Canadian EV shop in the neighbourhood recommends 72v, but I have my doubts. Maybe I should just jump in with both feet and see what happens, so, having priced out and sourced all the parts for an Etek RT system in 48v...
> >
> > Victor
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment