Monday, April 26, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Next problem: batteries and others.

 

Victor,

There are lot's of choices out there. I like the convenience of AGM's.

You can get some good prices on AGM's here;
http://www.batteryconcepts.net/yuasa/ub121100.html

Compare that with a DieHard at;
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02827582000P?mv=rr
and you're not saving that much money for a battery that will need maintenance.

Mark

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "vjmtymo" <vjmtymo@...> wrote:
>
> I've finally found a good source for drive pulleys, bearings and so on so thanks to all the advice here on this site.
> Now to batteries - would flooded work? I have a steel boat and there are some who think this is a bad combination although the batteries would be in a sealed compartment and well vented to outside. Really, how many people here with sailboats have mopped the acid out of their bilges or battery boxes due to flooded cells? I don't recall this being a serious issue 25 years ago when all you could get were flooded deep cycles in your sailboat. Can't say after a spell of rough water I've had to clean up a mess from the batteries. In fact right now I have a fully topped up deep cycle battery keeled over about 15 degrees from vertical and I'm rolling it from side to side and nothing is spilling out. After a minute, still dry on top. I might swing it around the room some but knowing my luck the strap will break and it'll go through the wall. Opinions? Experiences?
> What would be the real advantage of AGM's aside from the obvious of little gassing and maintenance, mounting? Prices - ouch! Never liked that little detail about them.
> And part 2: I've been recommended an AC drive system for the boat (36ft, steel hull, about 17,500# displ) since the Et-rT motor may not be able to cut it, even at 60v. Man, I'm starting to get that feeling again from when I started building the boat years ago - too many opinions and not enough real experience. Boating is rife with this dilemma, just like hunting and, well, most subjects now that I think of it. I appreciate the caution but can anyone REALLY say I need a lot of power or necessarily AC for this project? Skip the regen issue for now. Again, lay the advice on me and some experiences if you've got them.
> Again, appreciate the help.
>
> Victor
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment