Thursday, April 29, 2010

[Electric Boats] New Guy

 

Hello, I just joined since I just acquired a 16' pontoon boat with a transom mounted 65# thrust, 24v motor and four 12v marine batteries. I've always thought about solar powering a pontoon/houseboat since it sits in sunshine all week, in between uses.

This boat came with a trailer, which I purchased for another traditionally powered pontoon boat that I've just redone. But this electric concept dominates my mind now that I own the setup. The batteries have to be replaced along with the wiring, but the motor does work. It even has an up/down feature for trailering.

So, to begin the process I need to select some batteries for this 24v system. I've scrolled down througn a few pages of posts and saw the discussion between flooded and AGM batteries, plus the charging demands of each. I have shore power available at my lake dock and already own an automatic 12v car charger.

I'd like to financially stay at an entry-level enthusiast for this season, and then possibly incorporate some solar cells on a hardtop or softtop next season. I'm also stealing the bimini top from this boat for the other one, and just missed out on a used hardtop for sale at $150.

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment