Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Repowering 40' 1975 20,000 lb sailboat

 



--- On Tue, 10/6/09, aweekdaysailor <aweekdaysailor@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: aweekdaysailor <aweekdaysailor@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Repowering 40' 1975 20,000 lb sailboat
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, October 6, 2009, 12:17 PM

  The problem with all the conversations i read here is MONEY !!
An all electric conversion for a day sailor is applicable, at least up to a 30 footer. a mars motor conversion, coupled with a 48V bank of AGM's and you can sail the New York Harbor and reach Block Island with no problems. YES....a stiff wind or tight current.
  I added another seperate 48V bank of AGMs on my starboard as a back up and have only used it once or twice. it's hooked up under a switch which keeps both banks separate. house batteries are also separate. (I also moor the baby....so//)
  There are no solar, just regen from prop and two to three hours charge at dock. I keep a Honeywell 20001 for emergency / safety net. I have yet to actually fire up the 2000i !
  If you run electronics, like i do.... raymarine c-80, raydome 4k, st-70 and a packrat battery monitor, radio, am/fm/ satellite, two battery configuration is best.
  Try to remember...your on a sailboat...as in sailing...not motoring. Anyone can drive a car through a dessert...the question is how fast for how long. if you gun it all the way...bring water and a sleeping bag. If you cruise at an optimal speed then you not only see the desert but enjoy the ride.
  Please don't jump all over the e-mail. I send this out only to calm anyone who is nervous about conversion. I recently converted this year a 30 foot 1979 Hunter which had a dead yanmar 12 hp. I did it with some advise from James at Above the Waterline, who convinced me the way to go. AND in case you experienced sailors are wondering...I have never raised a sail or been on a boat my entire life.
  Everyone at the marina laughed at the Mars motor setup.....now they want to know how it works! Stop being CHEAP and dimwitted. If your diesel works...keep it. If your looking to replace a dead or dying one...consider it. No mechanics, no leaking smelling hunk of crap you have to warm up and rev up to get going. I pull up to the dock and park with on the dime precision!  My engine was not even dead, I just hate diesel engines!  In fact, the marina wanted $$ to take it out but I told them I was going to throw it out and when they heard that they removed it for free.....I know they sold it so everyone's happy.
  AGM's are the ONLY way to go now, LiPo are good but prohibitive. When the price comes down, then it MAY be a good choice. The weight of these batteries gives the boat a smooth ride. (As I was told by other sailors who took a ride with me...as mentioned ...I did not sail before). The boat sits nice and heeling over is so controlled you just have to experience it when you can. I also just went out on a 33 Hunter (2001) and it was a nice boat but no comparison to mine in handling.
  PS: I am not in the business, I make no representations to any manufacterer, I only pointed out James from Above the waterline because I called him 2 times for some answers and he took all the time to explain it to me.
  I am currently working on a project to increase regen by incorporating a mars motor just for regen using paddle wheel (kinda like a bow thruster) which can be dropped when needed and when it's feasible. All these puppies have to do is spin at 3000 rpm for a full 3.5 KW. Belt drives and slip clutches incorporated with the drive unit are ALL downhill tech.
 
Best
Rick

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment