Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Gas vs. Diesel

 

In the discussion about ICE generators I haven't seen any talk about running a diesel generator on vegetable oil. My 1989 F-250 PU has been using both new and recycled veggie oil for about 4 years now with no modifications to the fuel system. I do start it up with dino diesel and shut down also to make cold starting easy, in temperatures below 60F. One requirement though, is the type of injection pump, it can't be diesel lubricated, like the one on my boat's Westerbeke 4-91 main engine. Otherwise, I'd be running veggie in that too.
Wonder if the objections to diesel wouldn't be mostly bypassed if people were smelling the soy instead.

Sailonner

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, kendall bonner <merc2dogs@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> I tend to agree with that.
> To me the best argument fo a diesel is the economy, on larger engines, it's typically greater than an equivelent gas engine, I'm not sure if that holds true with smaller generator sized engines. Gasoline and spare parts for gas engines are generally available in more places, and are generally cheaper.
> I've always felt that gasoline could be just as safe, I mean I ride motorcycles with 5 gallons right between my legs.
> The primary requirement is good ventilation and drainage. On my Ariel, the OB and fuel tank are in the stern lazerrette, which could be considered bottomless so any vapors are able to drain overboard. (outboard 'plug' removed opens up a roughly 12"x12" hole in the stern counter.)
> My plan is to electrify it, with a small generator mounted in the same area. Plan for propulsion is a small 4-6 horse (OB equivelant power) mounted on a regular OB bottem end so I can use the same mounting location. I sail far more than I motor, so range isn't top priority for me.
>
> That said, If I could pick up a good diesel generator at comparable cost I wouldn't hesitate to grab it, thougfh I would have to rethink the installation.
>
> Ken.
>
> > To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > From: ewdysar@...
> > Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 04:20:47 +0000
> > Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Gas vs. Diesel
> >
> > The weight and size of a diesel genset are other considerations. While diesel fuel may be less volatile, if the diesel alternative is too large, heavy and expensive, then taking the extra precautions for using gasoline may be justified.
> >
> > Along those lines, a diesel engine may not be that much safer than a gasoline engine anyway. Here's a link to an opposing perspective:
> >
> > http://yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm
> >
> > I personally know of hundreds of boaters that have operated their gasoline powered vessels for many thousands hours collectively and none of them have had an explosion or fire onboard. I think that the dangers of using gasoline in boats (and cars) can be overstated and other commonly accepted aspects of our transportation should be a greater concern than the choice of fuels.
> >
> > Kind of ironic to have this debate on an electric boat forum...
> >
> > Fair winds,
> > Eric
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, James Sizemore <james@> wrote:
> > >
> > > The talk point on these was the 1000 dollar price. The diesels are
> > > safer and last about twice as long but at 5 times the price. If you
> > > can even find a 48 volt DC at 5 times the price I would be surprised.
> > > I might be interested in a $5000 dollar diesel.
> > >
> > > On Oct 25, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Rob Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > > Why not source a diesel powered generator , and eliminate the risk
> > > > of using a volatile liquid on a boat ?.
> > > > Safety should be paramount , and petrol and LPG are inherently
> > > > unsafe , on a boat.
> > > > There are plenty of purpose built diesel powered marine generators
> > > > on the market.
> > > > Regards Rob J.
> > > >
> >
> > > >> > On Oct 22, 2009, at 10:12 PM, marselectric1 wrote:
> > > >> >
> > > >> > > I just got back from the Canton Fair in China where I found a
> > > >> > > supplier of Gasoline DC Telecom Generators. There is one that
> > > >> looks
> > > >> > > like a Honda Portable Inverter Generator. The unit is rated at
> > > >> 1.6
> > > >> > > kw, weighs 50 pounds, and it looks to be very quiet (variable
> > > >> speed
> > > >> > > type). The output is 52.5 VDC at 30.5 Amps....
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > John Fiorenza
> > > >> > > Mars Electric LLC
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > >
> > > >> >
> > > >>
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>
> __________________________________________________________
> New Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/default.aspx?CBID=wl&ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_pcscout:102009
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment