Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Testing A Mars ME0709 Electric Motor

 

Thanks Hans ! good advice. Now to keep the batteries fully charged.

Don

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:05:57 -0700 (PDT) Hans Kloepfer
<hanskloepfer@yahoo.com> writes:

Don,

Congratulations on your successful conversion. Sounds like a great
start. You mentioned that you may limit your max amp output to 50 amps.
I say keep it like it is. I find that a quick burst of power is often
exactly what you need for many common sailing situations: setting an
anchor, a quick docking maneuver, getting off when you run aground,
avoiding a collision with a bouy, dock, or other boat (quick
reversing). I have called upon my motor in all of these situations, and
needed every bit of 130amps at 48 volts, and sometimes I wish I had
more. It is often suggested that "bollard pull" is irrelevant to
electric boating; most of what is discussed is cruising at or near hull
speed, but don't forget these other real world situations. Often a 5 or
10 second burst of power is all you need. You don't have to run at 90
amps all the time.

Fair winds,

Hans

--- On Tue, 10/13/09, postal6@juno.com <postal6@juno.com> wrote:

From: postal6@juno.com <postal6@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Testing A Mars ME0709 Electric Motor
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 10:41 PM

At the end of the day after testing, my monitor said I had 43 percent

battery left. I put them all back on my four bank charger and brought

them back up. I plan on setting my throttle switch to a maximum of 50

amps, thereby avoiding discharging the batteries below 50 percent. When

I tested the motor at 91 amps at a speed of 6 knots, even for the short

period of time, the drain on the batteries was monumental.

Don Swanson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__________________________________________________________
House Rescue Bill Passed
$133,000 mortgage under $679/mo. Compare rates and save!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=eOnaXrQtd4Yr7Nlux2DujwAAJ1BRpLk93JI2ycPqWaW1WjpDAAQAAAAFAAAAAMWzpD4AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaTcQAAAAA=

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment