Monday, October 12, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] New Member: Question about converting from a 9.9hp to electric

 

Hi Chris
I've checked out your website, thanks for all the detailed info on the torqeedo.
Ed

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, chris@... wrote:
>
> Hi Ed,
>
> I have a Torqeedo Cruise 4 on my trimaran, which displaces about
> 7000pounds or thereabouts and I can get 6.5 knots at full throttle.
> The waterline length is 43 ft so don't expect that speed from your
> boat. But the nice thing is that by dropping the speed to around 3
> knots it only draws around 500watts and with 200ah of lithium
> batteries that is about 16 hours cruising. My boat is also very
> weight sensitive which is why I chose the lithium batteries.
>
> I have only solar and wind for recharge so I don't want to be using
> that much power on a regular basis because i'll be stuck on the anchor
> for a few weeks recharging.
>
> I'm hoping that energy for typical on/off anchor use can be recaptured
> in a day of good sun.
>
> A friend has tried a Cruise 4 on his 44 ft cat and can get about 5.5
> knots at full throttle - I think it weighs in around 12000 pounds.
> Again the long waterline helps.
>
> Torqeedo claims the Cruise 4 is similar thrust to a 9.9hp outboard so
> that should give you a good guide as to top speed.
>
> I'd recommend the 48v version if can do it because it will give you
> the extra power available for manouvring. When cruising you can drop
> the speed back to match what your genset can produce.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris
> http://www.currentsunshine.com
>
> Quoting jones5962 <tschuss@...>:
>
> > Hello All,
> > I just found your group from the recommendation from a friend on
> > the dock when talking over electric conversion.
> > My wife and I have been live aboard cruisers for about 5 years now.
> > We made the standard mistake of buying too large of a boat but have
> > now down sized. We currently live and cruise aboard a Heavenly Twins
> > 26ft catamaran and this is the boat I'm thinking of converting.
> >
> > We sail a lot but also in our travels end up in canals for long
> > distances so I'm thinking of a hybrid system, think Chevy Volt not
> > Prius. Currently we have an old yamaha 9.9 high thrust outboard and
> > it's sufficient. But it's old and time for a change. I've giving
> > thought just getting a new gas out board but I'm intrigued with the
> > Torqeedo 2.0/4.0R.
> >
> > Our little cat is very weight sensitive so a battery bank of (8)
> > T105s isn't going to happen. But, I've been thinking of (4) T105s,
> > Torqeedo 2.0, Honda 1kw portable generator, and 240 watts of solar
> > panels to supplement might make a nice setup. I could upgrade to
> > the 4.0, 48V set up using (4) 12 volt batteries at a weight and cost
> > penalty.
> >
> > I guess is that at with the generator running at part load I could
> > run the Torqeedo at 1/2 throttle as long as gas lasts.
> >
> > My boat weighs between 5 to 7 thousand pounds. Shocking how much
> > crap gets stuffed aboard before a cruise:) Has anyone experience
> > with a torqeedo in similar configuration. Any thoughts would be
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Ed
> > S/V Rubicon
> >
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment