Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Re:New Member and question about displacement

 

Be aware of the torque of electric motors.  Most outboards are 2:0 to 1, or easy as that is half the rpm of gas.  That changes the prop depending on hull, wetted surface, hull speed/waterline ratio etc.  I typically reduce the pitch for electrics.
 
Thanks,   Cal
 
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 9:10 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re:New Member and question about displacement
 
 

Have been thinking about motor speed and gearing.  Since I am not so concerned with attaining hull speed seems like running the motor up towards it's max at my fastest normal cruising speed and having a higher gear ratio would be the way to go.  My prop calculations say that with a gear ratio of 2.5:1 I can run an 11 x 9 prop which I think should push the boat better at slower speeds.  I think you also with the increase in gear ratio you get more torque at at the prop at lower amps at the motor(?) .

Probably the way to go is to use a lower end from a 20-30 hp motor to fit the larger prop size.  Just does not seem like the little prop from a small motor would do the job.
 
I do want a generator at some point so probably will just spend the $$ for brushless.
 
John
--
Flatwater Electronics
www.flatwaterfarm.com
"Neurosurgery for computer looms."

__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment