Friday, September 26, 2014

[Electric Boats] hey Mark, switching an Outboard Conversion + Notes

 

I did mine with the motor in forward and electric control also forward.  The lower unit bearings are probably set for mostly forward use.  The electric has a forward, reverse control switch – no neutral that I see.  I use a foot control, not a hand control (by my preference) and there is a cruise control also. I want both hands free, and instantly useful like in a car.  So, yes you bare correct mine has done well so far, I think that is the normal way.  My mechanic is coming Wednesday to switch the control module, hope the weather holds up for a water test soon.  As Dr. Maturin would say, " I am with child to know the outcome ", but most know who he is, along with Capt. Jack Aubrey R.N.
 
The biggest thing is that installers seem to mismatch the motor and lower unit.  The 48 volt about 15 hp motor puts out the equivalent torque of a  Toyota 4 cyl. truck as I recall 180 foot pounds, that is a lot of power if it was on the street.   Water is more forgiving as it just slips or grabs as possible, that is when your prop comes into play.  Too much pitch, cup, == short battery life no real control,  Too little of either == not enough torque transfer, draggy slow speed. 
 
Depends on the boat, the hull speed at displacement power.   I am lucky to have a great older guy, ( I think )  that he and I whip up whatever prop we like the looks of – almost NEVER stock shapes for electric drives.  I can not pass that design series on, without being on the boat but it does make a difference in overall satisfaction.  Like on a 3 hp  Evinrude twin, took four props and work to match the prop to one hull I have, about half as much as the motor cost --- but made a real powerhouse out of it.  Now it goes for sale even though it is perfect running, and I stay totally electric.
 
Now that I have several EV boats, two Minn Kotas and an extra one like we made up for my Evinrude, plus a too small 4hp. outboard donor – and my Triumph Spitfire 1500 is sold, -- it is time to get with putting some more into several projects.  Guess I will be having Johnson liu, at Golden motor, whip me up a special motor setup , I have some ideas on new stuff for the 6 hp as a sail auxiliary.  maybe use the bigger one, and my bike lithium 48 volt packs for a motorcycle, trike, slingshot 1/8 mile dragster  or ???  
 
Darn, Electric toys are sure fun !!  Good Luck ------   Cal 
 
 
 
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2014 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Lower end on an Outboard Conversion
 
 

I have  my outboard fixed and switch motor direction.
I took the leg apart and removed the impellor on the waterpump though.
If the impellor is still on the leg I think you would have issues

From: "John Acord jcacord@gmail.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:58 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Lower end on an Outboard Conversion
 
 
I am just starting my outboard conversion and, while things are apart, have a question about forward/reverse. 

Is it OK to fix the lower end in one direction, forward for example, and reverse the motor for direction change?

My preference is to fix the lower end in forward and reverse with the motor direction.  But I am not sure how well the lower end will hold up with that operation.
 
John

--
Flatwater Electronics
www.flatwaterfarm.com
"Neurosurgery for computer looms."


__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (18)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment