Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Cal 2-27 electric repower almost finished!

 

I haven't had a computer for over 10 years with a RS232 port. I don't fault
manufacturers that stick with them though. USB requires a device listing that
costs money. I use an adapter (RS232 to USB) when I must communicate with
something. Any costs to use USB would only be handed down to the consumer and
if quantity is low enough it could be quite a bit.

I have an old doz machine for my Garmin GPS for the same reason. What the heck
they are almost a dime a dozen anyhow. I am wondering is the program an exe or
java script? Most of the time doz is used for the API or things like the
gaming API can't remember the name of it. Now many programmers are using Java,
if they are, you may be able to port it yourself with a little work.

Kevin

On Sunday, September 07, 2014 11:34:04 AM you wrote:
> Will the application run in WINE, the windows emulator for Linux? A lot of
> stuff does these days and it gives you access to usb/serial converters. May
> be worth a shot.
>
> /Jason
>
> > On Sep 6, 2014, at 9:58, king_of_neworleans <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Still fussing with shift alignment but I should have that finished today.
> > I have to climb in and out of the lazarette to get to the couplings and
> > aft mount bolts, and go in from the salon to get the forward bolts and I
> > am getting tired of that. Weather permitting, I will motor a couple miles
> > tomorrow to a beach where I always clean my hull and prop, and give her a
> > good scrape. There is a lot of growth down there, and test data would be
> > meaningless the way it is. I do not like the meter setup that Kelly
> > provides. The current meter reads in percentage of a user configurable
> > percentage of max rated current. I want it to read amps out of the
> > battery. Correspondence with Kelly was pointless. They like doing it that
> > way cause it is easy for them. Same with the charge meter. I tossed them
> > both. Ordered a 100a ammeter (I don't anticipate ever running over 100a)
> > and shunt, which I will install at the battery terminal. As for state of
> > charge, I just measure the open circuit voltage with a digital voltmeter
> > for now. I will figure out a more elegant solution later. One thing I
> > like about the Kelly controller is it is programmable by the user without
> > an expensive doodad. You listening, Sevcon? One thing I don't like about
> > the Kelly controller is, NOT SO. I don't use windows. I use Ubuntu. And
> > the interface is RS232, not USB. The Kelly configuration program is a
> > Windows executable. Asked them is they think maybe they should port the
> > app into linux, their reply was WE don't use Linux here. So I bought a
> > cheap windoze laptop for one use, programming the controller, and a
> > serial to USB adapter. I don't mind spending the money so much as having
> > a useless piece of crap taking up space until and if I ever want to
> > change the configuration again. Not having a Linux version and not having
> > a USB interface is most inconsiderate. They don't seem to care about the
> > finer points of customer satisfaction. The customer is supposed to cater
> > to them, instead, apparently. Documentation is a little sketchy, too. But
> > the controller is nice and cheap, available in a kit with controller,
> > contactor, and fuse mounted on a nice aluminum plate, and no extra
> > equipment is needed for configuration. Except a windoze computer and
> > serial to USB adapter. If Sevcon controllers could be configured with a
> > proper Linux computer and no special dongles or doodads, I wouldn't mind
> > paying the extra price to have a sine wave controller. Anyway, things are
> > going well, and I hope to have some test data to post within a week or
> > so.

__._,_.___

Posted by: Kevin Pemberton <pembertonkevin@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)

Yahoo Groups
New Improved Groups Search
Searching for new groups to join is easier than ever. We've honed our algorithm to bring you better search results based on relevance and activity. Try it today!

Improvements in Yahoo Groups Search
Searching for new groups to join is easier than ever. We've honed our algorithm to bring you better search results based on relevance and activity. Try it today!


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment