Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Re:New Member and question about displacement

 

Just a note, most all outboards of usable size are 2 to one gearing, I would love to find one with gearing up for higher prop rpm.   Watch the torque output figures, you might need a bigger lower end for both prop size, and that the torque can get high fast -- if grounding at some point.  Mine based on a 50 hp Evinrude, puts out more than the torque of a Chevrolet 2200 Vortec,   4 cyl.at 140 ft. lb. – just the speed is lower of course in the electric – the max efficiency at 3861 rpm VS the Vortec at 5k or so.  That's at 48 volts, and 175 amps, from the size 27 marine deep cycle batteries I get as a sales rep sample.   Cruise speed of choice is a lot less of course.
 
In my reading, I ran across an article that proposes that no gas motor should be in close proximity to any non-sealed electric power head, ( I assume non-sealed batteries too )  particularly any with brushes – I guess that sounds good.    A hot motor or generator spark in the engine room doesn't appeal to me.   Being casual with some cheaper gen sets, maybe could cause an explosion  ?? 
 
later,  Cal
 
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 9:10 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re:New Member and question about displacement
 
 

Have been thinking about motor speed and gearing.  Since I am not so concerned with attaining hull speed seems like running the motor up towards it's max at my fastest normal cruising speed and having a higher gear ratio would be the way to go.  My prop calculations say that with a gear ratio of 2.5:1 I can run an 11 x 9 prop which I think should push the boat better at slower speeds.  I think you also with the increase in gear ratio you get more torque at at the prop at lower amps at the motor(?) .

Probably the way to go is to use a lower end from a 20-30 hp motor to fit the larger prop size.  Just does not seem like the little prop from a small motor would do the job.
 
I do want a generator at some point so probably will just spend the $$ for brushless.
 
John
--
Flatwater Electronics
www.flatwaterfarm.com
"Neurosurgery for computer looms."

__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)

Improvements in Yahoo Groups Search
Searching for new groups to join is easier than ever. We've honed our algorithm to bring you better search results based on relevance and activity. Try it today!


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment