Thursday, April 8, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Pure or mostly solar powered boat?

 

I own a 27 albin vega 1966 that is in a slip in kings harbor south of los Angeles. It has no motor now but I think it had an atomic 4 at one point. Very solid hull needs considerable cosmetic work. I'd let it go very cheaply as my current project is more ambitious in that I am converting my 41 seawolf.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T


From: "luv2bsailin" <luv2bsailin@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 06:23:01 -0000
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Pure or mostly solar powered boat?

 

Say Red,
I believe you're in Illinois, right? There's an Albin 25 in Chicago that I looked at this winter. Might be worth checking out. I was going to buy it, but I wound up getting another one from down south. Turns out January isn't the best time to boat shop in the northern states. Go figure...
At any rate, I believe it's still on the market.
http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/1652759081.html
It's definitely needs work, mostly cosmetic, but it's just the kind of hull you'd want for a low-powered cruiser. Below the waterline she has a very conventional, old-school displacement hull form. The early ones came with a 20HP diesel, and later ones around 30HP, which is way more than the boat needs. In fact I understand they squatted so much with the bigger engine that, in the later models, they changed the after hull shape to make it more of a "semi-displacement" design. According to the owners manual, she reaches theoretical hull speed (about 6.5 kt) with under 10HP. If you wind up getting one of these it would be fun to collaborate and/or compare notes. I'm based in central MN.
Jim

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "peoria_diver" <daredster@...> wrote:
>
>
> Denny,
>
> Following sugestions from this group, I did a little online shopping today. Powerboat hulls just don't seem like good candidates to me. Even small trawlers have engines in the 100HP range. I switched back to sailboats and found a couple of centerboard boats at 28'. I am still a little concerned about the stability. I'll have to give it some thought.
>
> -Red
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Do More for Dogs Group. Connect with other dog owners who do more.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment