Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Hello electric boat fans

 

Joe:
 
I had a Bristol 24 before I bought my 30 foot. Bristols are great tough boats. I have fond memories sailing it. Since your boat is set up for an outboard  I'd say it's a good choice to stay with that system. You probably could install it in the afternoon. I'd go with a Honda 2000 before you go solar. Even though I had a Yamaha 9.9 hp gas outboard I also bought a Honda 650 watt generator for use on board in the 1980's to charge the house bank and use 120 volt tools for projects. The Honda 2000  is lighter and much more powerful and should allow you to increase your range under electric propulsion. You can add solar or a wind generator little by little as the budget permits in the future. If you are just doing day sails and returning to a dock with electric and charging up after every trip you might do ok with solar. But, if you are planning on any extended cruising I'd go with the Honda generator first before adding solar.
 
Capt. Mike
 
 

--- On Mon, 4/19/10, Joe Molare <jmolare@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Joe Molare <jmolare@gmail.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Hello electric boat fans
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, April 19, 2010, 9:05 PM

 
I have been sailing for many years and have been watching the development of electric powered boats with interest. It was easy to see on-board electric requirements increasing due to the additional electronic tools as well as hard-to-resist creature comforts. Through all this the smelly beast remained aloof and uninterested beyond grudgingly topping off the batteries when it was convenient.

I recently purchased a 1966 Bristol 27. The boat essentially has nothing, no engine and no functioning electric circuits. Over the next few months and years I expect to add some form of auxiliary power, electronics and maybe a lamp or two. The standard configuration recommends a battery operated propulsion motor, a battery array and a source of electricity such as generator, wind or solar.

The restoration will be an evolution with budget constraints. The boat is designed for an outboard mounted in a well under the stern counter and I expect to stay with an outboard in the 3 hp range with batteries to support a 2 hour run for port. I sail in the Chesapeake so distances are relatively short. The batteries will start out with a solar source for recharging. If that is not sufficient, then I will consider a small generator or shorter distance requirement.

I will post progress and look forward to advice and comments from the group.

Joe


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment