Wednesday, April 7, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Pure or mostly solar powered boat?

 

I called the marina today. According to them, the boat is 33' with a 12 HP Yanmar and NOT for sale. They seemed a bit surprised that I was calling but did take my number to pass along to the owner.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, John Francis <surv69@...> wrote:
>
> It's not a small one. I think it's about 28 feet.
>
> It's name is Sylvester and it's been sitting on the hard for probably 5-6
> years.
>
> Of course this means storage, unless the marina might take it.
>
> I had my eye on it, but at 14 feet or so beam, didn't want the prospect of
> double dockage. Besides, I hear those cats are somewhat rollyrowly . . .
> whatever.
>
> I will ask next time I talk to them at Brand's Marina(Port Clinton, Ohio),
> at 1-419-734-4212.
>
> The boat's not on their list, but I have heard it's up for grabs.
>
>
> John Francis
> Pearson 26
> Port Clinton, Ohio
>
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:14 AM, peoria_diver <daredster@...> wrote:
>
> > If one is interested? At that price, hell yeah one is interested! Who
> > would I contact to get more information on the cat? E-mail me at
> > daredster@... As long at it's not one of the smaller racing cats
> > (no payload capacity) I'd probably be ready to pick it up quickly as long as
> > the hulls are sound. I could happily spend a year tinkering with it and
> > rebuilding it to run solar/electric.
> >
> > -Red
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, John Francis <surv69@> wrote:
> > >
> > > If one's interested a catamaran is available(I think) in Port Clinton
> > Ohio.
> > > It has a washed up outboard and I don't know if it even has sails. Rumor
> > > has it that $2500 would take it. In today's economy, maybe less, since
> > it's
> > > not cheap to store.
> > >
> > > It does need some TLC, but if it's not going to be used as a sailboat, it
> > > might be more usable to someone who wants to go 100% electric.
> > >
> > >
> > > John Francis
> > > Pearson 26
> > > Port Clinton, Ohio
> > >
> > > On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:07 AM, dennis wolfe <dwolfe@> wrote:
> > >
> > > > 
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On the notion of revamping an old fg sailboat hull for electric power:
> > I
> > > > think is is a fine idea. Is it the most efficient shape for the new
> > > > low-power boat mission? No. Is is cost effective? Absolutely.
> > > >
> > > > A purpose designed, custom built 30' power boat would be at least
> > $150,000
> > > > - probably more. An old 28 - 30' sailboat with clapped out sails and a
> > > > non-working engine could be found for a few thousand dollars. I have a
> > > > friend who just bought a nice sailable 32'er at a bank reposession
> > auction
> > > > for $1000.
> > > >
> > > > A boat having a centerboard with internal ballast would be the best as
> > its
> > > > is designed to have the ballast inside the hull, not hanging down 3'
> > below
> > > > the boat. It will have much less draft than the keel boat, too.
> > > >
> > > > Load it up with 1000 lbs of batteries, fix a Torqeedo 4.0 in a well
> > and
> > > > steer with the rudder. You would have a very nice E boat with a new
> > > > high-tech propulsion system for less than $15k.
> > > >
> > > > Just my $0.02.
> > > >
> > > > Denny
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment