Monday, April 19, 2010

[Electric Boats] dc-dc converter/ battery balancer

 

Hello,

Somewhere in my perusings I heard of an interesting concept for a voltage converter which also doubled as a battery balancer. It worked by measuring the independent voltages of the 12v batteries in a higher voltage series string, and then drawing the 12 volts from the individual battery with the highest voltage. So it essentially it isn't really converting voltage at all, just tapping of the highest voltage battery in the string.  I assume this would be more efficient than a transformer based converter like the one I am currently using.

My Newmar 48v to 12v DC-DC converter seems to be quite efficient when I have a large house draw, but less so at lower draws. It seems to draw 700 mA just to be powered up.

More significantly to me, this "converter/ balancer" system would alleviate my growing anxieties about regular battery balancing. This is important to me as I run agm batteries where I cannot replace electrolyte. I do not have independent 12v battery charging only a single 48v string charger. (This is something I would do differently next time around).

This "converter/balancer" concept seems to be an ideal solution, the classic two birds with one stone. Has anyone else thought of this or tried this.

As an amateur electronics hobbiest, I wonder if this is a task which could be accomplished with a relatively straight forward analogue circuit with mostly discrete components. Any thoughts?

It's a nice day in SF, so I think I will go for a sail on the bay today.


Fair winds and following electrons.
Hans

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment