Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Testing A Mars ME0709 Electric Motor

 

Don,

Congratulations on your successful conversion. Sounds like a great
start. You mentioned that you may limit your max amp output to 50 amps.
I say keep it like it is.  I find that a quick burst of power is often
exactly what you need for many common sailing situations: setting an
anchor, a quick docking maneuver, getting off when you run aground,
avoiding a collision with a bouy, dock, or other boat (quick
reversing). I have called upon my motor in all of these situations, and
needed every bit of 130amps at 48 volts, and sometimes I wish I had
more. It is often suggested that "bollard pull" is irrelevant to
electric boating; most of what is discussed is cruising at or near hull
speed, but don't forget these other real world situations. Often a 5 or
10 second burst of power is all you need. You don't have to run at 90
amps all the time.

Fair winds,

Hans



--- On Tue, 10/13/09, postal6@juno.com <postal6@juno.com> wrote:

From: postal6@juno.com <postal6@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Testing A Mars ME0709 Electric Motor
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 10:41 PM

 

At the end of the day after testing, my monitor said I had 43 percent

battery left. I put them all back on my four bank charger and brought

them back up. I plan on setting my throttle switch to a maximum of 50

amps, thereby avoiding discharging the batteries below 50 percent. When

I tested the motor at 91 amps at a speed of 6 knots, even for the short

period of time, the drain on the batteries was monumental.

Don Swanson


 



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Odd News

You won't believe

it, but it's true

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Yahoo! Groups

Weight Management Challenge

Join others who

are losing pounds.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment