Monday, June 1, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric power for over 30' [Question for Dave K]



Thanks for the real world data comparisons.   Actually I've tried to tell my friend wtih the 50 hp diesel that he's under proped for years.  Unfortunatly the advice has fallen on deaf ears, he says, things work fine the way they are.......so,...I'll leave it alone...    I've sailed on his boat many times and have never had any instance where the thurst produced by his diesel didn't do the job...    
 
My load cell is not as accurate as yours, I have a 550 lb pull game scale that I suspect is good for +/- 5 lbs. , that's about as close as I want to get anyway.   Dave K

--- On Mon, 6/1/09, audeojude <audeojude@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: audeojude <audeojude@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric power for over 30' [Question for Dave K]
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 10:46 AM

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, iloveamercedes@... wrote:
>
> Hey Dave, I am  intrigued at the prospect that a rated 8 hp electric motor
> can have the same  pulling power as a 'rated' 50 hp Diesel motor!
> Now I may not  understand what "Bollard Pull" is...

I'm going to comment on this as I have some real world numbers that I have measured on outboards for bollard pulls.

300 lbs of thrust is very minimal.. it is about the equivalent of a 9 to 12 hp outboard..

I have tested 4 hp engines and they get in the neighborhood of 120 lbs of thrust in a bollard test. 6 hp engines should get in the neighborhood of 160 lbs of thrust.

bollard tests are very much affected by size and pitch of prop also.

all the testing I did used a inline load cell rated accurate to + - 1 lb from 1 lb to 3000 lbs. The numbers I got were reflective of industry standards (in other words reflective of what published numbers for that horsepower range were)

So the end result is that 300lbs of thrust is nowhere near what a 50 hp diesel engine should have been able to produce. If you were not getting but 300lbs of thrust out of your diesel then it was in sad shape or badly mispropped.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment