Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Newport 28' Build Plans



And one more point a 200AH lifepo4 pack has twice or better the usable
amps for traction applications as lead, so you can step down to say
the 160AH and still have more then a 200AH lead pack by far.

On Jun 23, 2009, at 11:01 PM, James Sizemore wrote:

>
>
> 3.2-3.3 is the nominal voltage so 10 batteries is what you want. Plus
> add in say another 10 per cell for shipping.
>
> On Jun 23, 2009, at 9:51 PM, Rob wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > I have a similar situation, but really want to go LiFePO4 if I can.
> > That's
> > about $1980. Do I have the calculation right using the prices here
> > (someone
> > posted this link recently):
> >
> > http://www.evcomponents.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=28
> >
> > If I use 4.25V per cell. To get 36V, I need 36/4.25 = about 9
> cells at
> > 200AH. Each cell is $220 for the Thunder Sky, so that's 9*$220 =
> > $1980.
> >
> > Right?
> >
> > From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > ]
> > On Behalf Of Peter van Hardenberg
> > Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 11:35 AM
> > To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: [Electric Boats] Newport 28' Build Plans
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I just wanted to share a few of my thoughts about an electric
> > conversion and
> > talk about some of the circumstances my local area and sailing
> habits
> > require.
> >
> > I've posted a few times, so some of you may remember that I have a
> > Newport
> > 28' which I hauled an old Atomic-4 out of back in March.
> >
> > Basically, my boat is used for afternoon sails and for week-to-month
> > long
> > cruises of the Gulf Islands. I intend to use this rig mostly as a
> > back-up to
> > help me when winds drop en route and the current is shifting. In my
> > part of
> > the world, some of the passes will flood at as much as 8kts at their
> > peak,
> > so you want to be able to scoot through during slack.
> >
> > This means I see a need for two charging modes -- solar for trickle
> > charging
> > the house batteries and keeping things topped up while I'm not
> > around, and a
> > generator to provide outboard equivalence with less noise and fuss.
> > I might
> > add wind generation at some point just for added capability and to
> > reduce
> > the time the gennie runs, but I don't really expect anything from
> prop
> > regen. There's also a bit of a Fuel Cell posse building up around
> > here (this
> > is Ballard country, I suppose) and I might consider installing a
> 2-4kw
> > hydrogen fuel cell if one ever becomes available at a reasonable
> price
> > mostly for the quiet operation and easy fuel transport.
> >
> > My calculations suggest that the 8kw MARS motor from Thunderstruck
> > would
> > require about 20hrs of charging per hour of operation at 4kw (about
> > what I
> > recall was my expected draw to make 4kts.) The Honda 2000i (sadly it
> > looks
> > like the Honeywell from CostCo won't be up to snuff) would provide
> > about a
> > 2:1 at 4kts. The idea would be that on the occasional "motoring
> > day", there
> > should be enough capacity to run 8hrs with the generator providing
> > extra
> > range.
> >
> > Now from what I've managed to work out it looks like 200Ah @ 36V
> > should
> > provide decent range at about the same weight as my old Atomic-4. If
> > money
> > ever starts to grow on trees or if the LiFePO4 batteries come down
> > in price,
> > I'd look into swapping that out, but you just can't compete with
> > lead-acid
> > for $/Ah at this point.
> >
> > That means my overall budget is something like (in CDN):
> >
> > $2200 - Thunderstruck kit
> > $1000 - 12v batteries
> > $800 - 200w solar
> > $1500 - honda 2000i
> > $500 - mounting, pulleys, prop
> >
> > Or about $6000 all told.
> >
> > Thoughts? One nice thing about this design is I can start with the
> > motor and
> > add components as time and funds allow.
> >
> > -pvh
> >
> > --
> > Peter van Hardenberg
> > Victoria, BC, Canada
> > "Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." -- Kurt Vonnegut
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Get it all here

Breaking news to

entertainment news

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Support Group

Lose lbs together

Share your weight-

loss successes.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment