Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Newport 28' Build Plans



3.2-3.3 is the nominal voltage so 10 batteries is what you want. Plus
add in say another 10 per cell for shipping.

On Jun 23, 2009, at 9:51 PM, Rob wrote:

>
>
> I have a similar situation, but really want to go LiFePO4 if I can.
> That's
> about $1980. Do I have the calculation right using the prices here
> (someone
> posted this link recently):
>
> http://www.evcomponents.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=28
>
> If I use 4.25V per cell. To get 36V, I need 36/4.25 = about 9 cells at
> 200AH. Each cell is $220 for the Thunder Sky, so that's 9*$220 =
> $1980.
>
> Right?
>
> From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> ]
> On Behalf Of Peter van Hardenberg
> Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 11:35 AM
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Newport 28' Build Plans
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just wanted to share a few of my thoughts about an electric
> conversion and
> talk about some of the circumstances my local area and sailing habits
> require.
>
> I've posted a few times, so some of you may remember that I have a
> Newport
> 28' which I hauled an old Atomic-4 out of back in March.
>
> Basically, my boat is used for afternoon sails and for week-to-month
> long
> cruises of the Gulf Islands. I intend to use this rig mostly as a
> back-up to
> help me when winds drop en route and the current is shifting. In my
> part of
> the world, some of the passes will flood at as much as 8kts at their
> peak,
> so you want to be able to scoot through during slack.
>
> This means I see a need for two charging modes -- solar for trickle
> charging
> the house batteries and keeping things topped up while I'm not
> around, and a
> generator to provide outboard equivalence with less noise and fuss.
> I might
> add wind generation at some point just for added capability and to
> reduce
> the time the gennie runs, but I don't really expect anything from prop
> regen. There's also a bit of a Fuel Cell posse building up around
> here (this
> is Ballard country, I suppose) and I might consider installing a 2-4kw
> hydrogen fuel cell if one ever becomes available at a reasonable price
> mostly for the quiet operation and easy fuel transport.
>
> My calculations suggest that the 8kw MARS motor from Thunderstruck
> would
> require about 20hrs of charging per hour of operation at 4kw (about
> what I
> recall was my expected draw to make 4kts.) The Honda 2000i (sadly it
> looks
> like the Honeywell from CostCo won't be up to snuff) would provide
> about a
> 2:1 at 4kts. The idea would be that on the occasional "motoring
> day", there
> should be enough capacity to run 8hrs with the generator providing
> extra
> range.
>
> Now from what I've managed to work out it looks like 200Ah @ 36V
> should
> provide decent range at about the same weight as my old Atomic-4. If
> money
> ever starts to grow on trees or if the LiFePO4 batteries come down
> in price,
> I'd look into swapping that out, but you just can't compete with
> lead-acid
> for $/Ah at this point.
>
> That means my overall budget is something like (in CDN):
>
> $2200 - Thunderstruck kit
> $1000 - 12v batteries
> $800 - 200w solar
> $1500 - honda 2000i
> $500 - mounting, pulleys, prop
>
> Or about $6000 all told.
>
> Thoughts? One nice thing about this design is I can start with the
> motor and
> add components as time and funds allow.
>
> -pvh
>
> --
> Peter van Hardenberg
> Victoria, BC, Canada
> "Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." -- Kurt Vonnegut
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Fashion News

What's the word on

fashion and style?

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Support Group

Lose lbs together

Share your weight-

loss successes.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment