Tuesday, June 30, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: new member and, of course, questions



hi Roland...

If you can place your hand on the motor it's probably not over heating badly. But if you cannot make headway against the river, then surely you need more power for safety and enjoyment.

I think the scooter motor you mentioned is a good track to follow... many are available, often complete with controller in wide HP ratings from 300-1500 watt. That would be about 2HP at the high end. Considering how small your current motor is and the performance you are obtaining, I would think at least 1HP (750 watts) would be a minimum worthwhile change.

Many of these larger motors might require 36 or 48 volts... but no big deal to simply add one or two more batteries in series with what you now have (I'd suggest keeping as close to the same type as possible). With higher voltage, you can obtain the increased power without big increases in current (power = volts x amps). Thus your existing wiring might even be usable. You WILL need a controller, and you will enhance your enjoyment lots by the ability to control speed/power as conditions warrant. I don't think a simple on/off switch is appropriate except for a toy :) Or maybe something so underpowered that you want "all you can get" at all times anyway!

There are tons of scooter motors of many sizes, shapes, power, etc available online (simply Google for them) and also they are popular on eBay. Here's just one site to get you started and more familiar with what's out there:

http://superkids.stores.yahoo.net/scmococoki.html

Of course, I have no affiliation with this firm, they simply were book marked in my "electric vehicle" folder.

I'm sure others here can advise you much better on appropriate pulley, prop, etc considerations. Best of luck with your new boat! Sure looks like fun!!

Russ

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Roland Kruijer" <martine_roland@...> wrote:
>
> Hello Group,
>
> My name is Roland Kruijer and I'm from The Netherlands.
>
> I'm just entering the electric community as I bought an electric boat just a couple of weeks ago. http://www.electraboat.com/
>
> Maybe some of you know this boat or have one. I'm having a little problem with the speed of the boat. I allready changed the pulleys but as a result, the motor becomes hot, so I'm figuring that is not the way to do it. It now has a 300 Watt, 24 V electric motor which would be sufficient in a pond, but I live by a slow streaming river, there for the motor is too weak. Oh, and the batteries are 2 x 12 V 200 amp in series.
> Now, I'm searching for a replacement (bigger) motor to use. Also I read there's need for a controller?? and I'm also looking for a throttle of some kind, because the boat now only has on/off switch.
>
> I saw on the net that there are lots of electric scootermotors for sale, can these be used?
> What kind of motor should I use? The boat doesn't have to be a speedboat.
> Is it possible to use an ordinary electric motor, but instead of the 300w one with 600 or 900 watt?
> I'm a bit concerned about the power of the batteries going straight to the motor. The orriginal set-up got the motor handwarm, but since I changed the pulley, its becomming, well, hotter.
>
>
> As I said, I'm just entering this electric world and do not have experience in electronics. I'm more an automotive guy, so any advice would be great!
>
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Roland Kruijer
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment