Thursday, June 18, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Any larger electric boat owners out there?



The first hard choice you have to make is the pack voltage, A 48 volt
pack will make buying components for your house solar array easy and
cheap (pretty much standard off-grid setup), and buying a traction
motor big enough to replace your V8 very hard (I only know of one 48
volt high current low voltage motor and the price scarred the paints
of me). If anyone knows of a large high HP 48 volt motor let me
know! (The reason they are rare is that high current draw from the
batteries radically increases the perkert effect, and wire size. )
But if you go lithium or travel on strait solar/generator (You would
need a big array 1600w minimum to get even a few knots. ) 48 volt
would be optimal from a simplicity standpoint.

Or you can go with a 144 volt or 312 volt pack and have lots of
traction motors choices. But very limited inverter charger choices
to supply power to the house.
The DC to DC that I have heard the best gossip on for the high voltage
setup is : http://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/centaur-charger-12v-24v/
90 DCV - 400 DCV input . You will have to go with a grid-tie
inverter solar cell setup (high voltage solar cells and hight voltage
inverter) They exist but don't have the features of the 48v peers.

I would prefer the low voltage setup myself ( the the lack of motor
choices is devastating) I have a few high voltage setups on paper
but nothing I like enough to pull the trigger on yet.
If you have any question or ideal let me know I have put a lot of
work into different designs, I'm sure I can save you some time looking
for components.

On Jun 16, 2009, at 7:08 PM, mcdonaldmike13 wrote:

>
>
> I just found this site today. I too am interested in converting my
> boat to electric. It is a 47 foot river cruiser with a shallow draft
> with a Volvo v8 sterndrive that I would like to remove. We plan on
> using solar and wind for our house power but am getting lost on all
> the electrical options or non-options. This a go slow boat. Are
> there any viable options out there?
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, James Sizemore <james@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > I see a lot of traffic on this list for smaller conversions
> replacing
> > A4's and such on 20-30 foot sail boats. Are there any folks that
> have
> > replaced larger motors on cruisers/trawlers?
> > I will be replacing two 427 fords (350hp gas engines) on a 41 foot
> > Chris-Craft. This if for a number of reasons including not wanting
> > the ongoing expense of buying gas, second I really hate the
> monstrous
> > complexity of combustion engines. I have a computer science/
> > electrical background so I am much much more knowledgeable and
> > comfortable with electrical systems. And not to mention the smell
> and
> > noise of combustion engines. The knowledge I lack right now is boat
> > related: prop size pitch ...etc...etc. I don't need the boat to
> plane
> > at 17 knots or anything like that, although if it does all the
> better.
> >
> > My current thinking is to replace the fords with a pair of (Netgain
> > Warp 11'' or Transwarp 11'')'s. The part I can not rap my head
> > around is if I go direct drive with the Transwarp's will they spin
> the
> > props to fast? Or should I keep the transmissions that the fords are
> > bolt to now and go with the Warp's. I would prefer not to have the
> > extra complexity of the transmissions. The Netgains can move a large
> > truck at freeway speeds 70+ MPH. My understanding of the
> conversion of
> > electrical hp to combustion hp is at 144v these motors should be
> about
> > the equivalent of a 150-200 hp gas motors with considerable more
> > torque at the low end.
> >
> > The boat will soon have a fairly large solar array and already has
> > 7.5 KWH generator. So keeping the battery bank feed should not be a
> > problem. I know finding a solar charger/inverter for a 144v battery
> > pack will be a real challenge. Any recommendations are welcome. I
> > would also be very curious of other conversions of larger plaining
> > hull boats, and what motors you use and performance you get now.
> Also
> > any recommendations on motors/charges/controllers or kits for boats
> > this size would be most welcome.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Get it all here

Breaking news to

entertainment news

Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Yahoo! Groups

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Passionate about cars?

Check out the Auto Enthusiast Zone.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment