Saturday, June 20, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Any larger electric boat owners out there?



James,

We are currently offering an 18 KW water cooled permanent magnet AC drive based on the Perm Motor - see

http://www.propulsionmarine.com/18_kw_e_w_drive.htm

and a 50 KW watercooled permanent magnet brushless AC drive based on the UQM motor

http://www.propulsionmarine.com/50_kw_inboard.htm

contact sales@propulsionmarine.com for more information.

James

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, James Sizemore <james@...> wrote:
>
> I did the numbers on putting in two Solidnav Voyagers, (or similar
> motors) for a total of 16kw at 600 amps draw. I could supply these
> motors at half speed indefinitely with power. I have a 7.5kw
> generator, and my boat can easily hold a 2kw solar array. With this
> setup I would own the worlds slowest cabin curser. ;-) With around
> 50 hp?, But I would go.
>
> I also did the numbers to kind of come close to replacing the
> performance I have and I was looking at two motors each in the 60-80
> kw range. Which depending on the motor efficiency would be around 80
> hp peak 40 hp or so continuous. To give you an ideal of the amp draw
> on the batteries at full throttle assuming 100% efficacy for each prop:
> at 48 volts you would need whopping 1250 amps (I have not found a
> motor in this range)
> at 144 volts 417 amps (These exist)
> at 312 volts 192 amp (These exist)
> Now times the amps by two (one for each prop) for a total of 160 hp.
> Obviously at that amp draw a third of an hour is all you could do with
> a $12,000 dollar battery pack, say 800 AH at 48 volt at full
> throttle. Now it might be nice to have this speed for 15 minutes but
> is it really worth it?
>
> Heck I don't know still on the fence. LOL. Option two at low speeds
> is just as amp efficient as option one, plus you have the option to
> drain you pack faster if you want, the question is how often would I
> want to go faster? I'm guess not very often. The down side to option
> two is as stated below It pretty much forces me into a high voltage
> battery pack.
>
> But if you had a setup in mind, let me know I would be happy to do
> the numbers! That part is fun. Making a choice and living with it is
> the hard part. Everything with boats is a trade off....Everything!
>
> Feel free to poke fun at my number above if you find flaws.
>
>
>
> On Jun 20, 2009, at 2:52 AM, Hans Kloepfer wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > James,
> >
> > Not really sure how much power you are looking for on your boat. You
> > have a tall order replacing two big V8's. If you wanted to stay with
> > the simplicity of 48v (which would be alot more convenient) have you
> > considered belting more that one motor to the same shaft? Would two
> > 48v motors per shaft give you the kind of power you are looking for?
> >
> > --- On Thu, 6/18/09, James Sizemore <james@...> wrote:
> >
> > From: James Sizemore <james@...>
> > Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Any larger electric boat owners
> > out there?
> > To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 2:20 PM
> >
> > The first hard choice you have to make is the pack voltage, A 48 volt
> >
> > pack will make buying components for your house solar array easy and
> >
> > cheap (pretty much standard off-grid setup), and buying a traction
> >
> > motor big enough to replace your V8 very hard (I only know of one 48
> >
> > volt high current low voltage motor and the price scarred the paints
> >
> > of me). If anyone knows of a large high HP 48 volt motor let me
> >
> > know! (The reason they are rare is that high current draw from the
> >
> > batteries radically increases the perkert effect, and wire size. )
> >
> > But if you go lithium or travel on strait solar/generator (You would
> >
> > need a big array 1600w minimum to get even a few knots. ) 48 volt
> >
> > would be optimal from a simplicity standpoint.
> >
> > Or you can go with a 144 volt or 312 volt pack and have lots of
> >
> > traction motors choices. But very limited inverter charger choices
> >
> > to supply power to the house.
> >
> > The DC to DC that I have heard the best gossip on for the high voltage
> >
> > setup is : http://www.victrone nergy.com/ chargers/ centaur-charger-
> > 12v-24v/
> >
> > 90 DCV - 400 DCV input . You will have to go with a grid-tie
> >
> > inverter solar cell setup (high voltage solar cells and hight voltage
> >
> > inverter) They exist but don't have the features of the 48v peers.
> >
> > I would prefer the low voltage setup myself ( the the lack of motor
> >
> > choices is devastating) I have a few high voltage setups on paper
> >
> > but nothing I like enough to pull the trigger on yet.
> >
> > If you have any question or ideal let me know I have put a lot of
> >
> > work into different designs, I'm sure I can save you some time looking
> >
> > for components.
> >
> > On Jun 16, 2009, at 7:08 PM, mcdonaldmike13 wrote:
> >
> > >
> >
> > >
> >
> > > I just found this site today. I too am interested in converting my
> >
> > > boat to electric. It is a 47 foot river cruiser with a shallow draft
> >
> > > with a Volvo v8 sterndrive that I would like to remove. We plan on
> >
> > > using solar and wind for our house power but am getting lost on all
> >
> > > the electrical options or non-options. This a go slow boat. Are
> >
> > > there any viable options out there?
> >
> > >
> >
> > > --- In electricboats@ yahoogroups. com, James Sizemore <james@>
> >
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > >
> >
> > > > I see a lot of traffic on this list for smaller conversions
> >
> > > replacing
> >
> > > > A4's and such on 20-30 foot sail boats. Are there any folks that
> >
> > > have
> >
> > > > replaced larger motors on cruisers/trawlers?
> >
> > > > I will be replacing two 427 fords (350hp gas engines) on a 41 foot
> >
> > > > Chris-Craft. This if for a number of reasons including not wanting
> >
> > > > the ongoing expense of buying gas, second I really hate the
> >
> > > monstrous
> >
> > > > complexity of combustion engines. I have a computer science/
> >
> > > > electrical background so I am much much more knowledgeable and
> >
> > > > comfortable with electrical systems. And not to mention the smell
> >
> > > and
> >
> > > > noise of combustion engines. The knowledge I lack right now is
> > boat
> >
> > > > related: prop size pitch ...etc...etc. I don't need the boat to
> >
> > > plane
> >
> > > > at 17 knots or anything like that, although if it does all the
> >
> > > better.
> >
> > > >
> >
> > > > My current thinking is to replace the fords with a pair of
> > (Netgain
> >
> > > > Warp 11'' or Transwarp 11'')'s. The part I can not rap my head
> >
> > > > around is if I go direct drive with the Transwarp's will they spin
> >
> > > the
> >
> > > > props to fast? Or should I keep the transmissions that the fords
> > are
> >
> > > > bolt to now and go with the Warp's. I would prefer not to have the
> >
> > > > extra complexity of the transmissions. The Netgains can move a
> > large
> >
> > > > truck at freeway speeds 70+ MPH. My understanding of the
> >
> > > conversion of
> >
> > > > electrical hp to combustion hp is at 144v these motors should be
> >
> > > about
> >
> > > > the equivalent of a 150-200 hp gas motors with considerable more
> >
> > > > torque at the low end.
> >
> > > >
> >
> > > > The boat will soon have a fairly large solar array and already has
> >
> > > > 7.5 KWH generator. So keeping the battery bank feed should not
> > be a
> >
> > > > problem. I know finding a solar charger/inverter for a 144v
> > battery
> >
> > > > pack will be a real challenge. Any recommendations are welcome. I
> >
> > > > would also be very curious of other conversions of larger plaining
> >
> > > > hull boats, and what motors you use and performance you get now.
> >
> > > Also
> >
> > > > any recommendations on motors/charges/ controllers or kits for
> > boats
> >
> > > > this size would be most welcome.
> >
> > > >
> >
> > > >
> >
> > > >
> >
> > > >
> >
> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> > > >
> >
> > >
> >
> > >
> >
> > >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment