Monday, June 22, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: motor overheating



Colin Girvan wrote:
> Just a quick question, does anyone set up there motor via prop size, pitch and RPM to reach full temporary amperage at full throttle rather than full continuous amps. The reason I ask is that, for example the mars motor is rated at 6hp continuous and 15hp max but if you limit the power loading to the continuous rating all you'll ever see is the 6hp.
>
> I realize going beyond this limit would mean monitoring temp and probably trying to cool the motor some way but both of these are good measures regardless of how hard you push the motor. It just seems to me there would be times even for a minute or two that it would be nice to be able to draw that extra power.
>
>
Railway locomotives have time limits on their traction motor amps, so
they have their gauges marked '100% overload 5 min, 50% overload 30min'
or something similar. The driver (engineer in US speak) when being
qualified to drive that particular model is supposed to remember how
long to let the motors 'rest' before hitting them with a 100% overload
again.

I've got my boat configured like this - 40A is a nice cruising power,
and is just before my displacement hull starts to 'climb the wave'. But
that isn't full throttle, I set the controller to allow another 10% or
so power, just in case I needed an extreme burst of power for some
reason. But I'm an electrical person more than a boat person (and a
railway nut), so I know to respect my chosen power settings.
Many people would probably hop in and just wind the throttle to full
speed and leave it there when 'cruising'.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Fashion News

What's the word on

fashion and style?

Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Support Group

Lose lbs together

Share your weight-

loss successes.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment