Thursday, June 18, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Any larger electric boat owners out there?



Just half way thinking but to tap a large set of batteries to get house power would it not be best to combine a 48 volt system at each battery conect in parallel so all drain evenly. Would this create a short.

Jon

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, James Sizemore <james@...> wrote:
>
> The first hard choice you have to make is the pack voltage, A 48 volt
> pack will make buying components for your house solar array easy and
> cheap (pretty much standard off-grid setup), and buying a traction
> motor big enough to replace your V8 very hard (I only know of one 48
> volt high current low voltage motor and the price scarred the paints
> of me). If anyone knows of a large high HP 48 volt motor let me
> know! (The reason they are rare is that high current draw from the
> batteries radically increases the perkert effect, and wire size. )
> But if you go lithium or travel on strait solar/generator (You would
> need a big array 1600w minimum to get even a few knots. ) 48 volt
> would be optimal from a simplicity standpoint.
>
> Or you can go with a 144 volt or 312 volt pack and have lots of
> traction motors choices. But very limited inverter charger choices
> to supply power to the house.
> The DC to DC that I have heard the best gossip on for the high voltage
> setup is : http://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/centaur-charger-12v-24v/
> 90 DCV - 400 DCV input . You will have to go with a grid-tie
> inverter solar cell setup (high voltage solar cells and hight voltage
> inverter) They exist but don't have the features of the 48v peers.
>
> I would prefer the low voltage setup myself ( the the lack of motor
> choices is devastating) I have a few high voltage setups on paper
> but nothing I like enough to pull the trigger on yet.
> If you have any question or ideal let me know I have put a lot of
> work into different designs, I'm sure I can save you some time looking
> for components.
>
>
> On Jun 16, 2009, at 7:08 PM, mcdonaldmike13 wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > I just found this site today. I too am interested in converting my
> > boat to electric. It is a 47 foot river cruiser with a shallow draft
> > with a Volvo v8 sterndrive that I would like to remove. We plan on
> > using solar and wind for our house power but am getting lost on all
> > the electrical options or non-options. This a go slow boat. Are
> > there any viable options out there?
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, James Sizemore <james@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I see a lot of traffic on this list for smaller conversions
> > replacing
> > > A4's and such on 20-30 foot sail boats. Are there any folks that
> > have
> > > replaced larger motors on cruisers/trawlers?
> > > I will be replacing two 427 fords (350hp gas engines) on a 41 foot
> > > Chris-Craft. This if for a number of reasons including not wanting
> > > the ongoing expense of buying gas, second I really hate the
> > monstrous
> > > complexity of combustion engines. I have a computer science/
> > > electrical background so I am much much more knowledgeable and
> > > comfortable with electrical systems. And not to mention the smell
> > and
> > > noise of combustion engines. The knowledge I lack right now is boat
> > > related: prop size pitch ...etc...etc. I don't need the boat to
> > plane
> > > at 17 knots or anything like that, although if it does all the
> > better.
> > >
> > > My current thinking is to replace the fords with a pair of (Netgain
> > > Warp 11'' or Transwarp 11'')'s. The part I can not rap my head
> > > around is if I go direct drive with the Transwarp's will they spin
> > the
> > > props to fast? Or should I keep the transmissions that the fords are
> > > bolt to now and go with the Warp's. I would prefer not to have the
> > > extra complexity of the transmissions. The Netgains can move a large
> > > truck at freeway speeds 70+ MPH. My understanding of the
> > conversion of
> > > electrical hp to combustion hp is at 144v these motors should be
> > about
> > > the equivalent of a 150-200 hp gas motors with considerable more
> > > torque at the low end.
> > >
> > > The boat will soon have a fairly large solar array and already has
> > > 7.5 KWH generator. So keeping the battery bank feed should not be a
> > > problem. I know finding a solar charger/inverter for a 144v battery
> > > pack will be a real challenge. Any recommendations are welcome. I
> > > would also be very curious of other conversions of larger plaining
> > > hull boats, and what motors you use and performance you get now.
> > Also
> > > any recommendations on motors/charges/controllers or kits for boats
> > > this size would be most welcome.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment