Monday, June 1, 2009

[Electric Boats] Boats over 30'



I've been reading this board for a few years now and have since gotten my own boat over 30' and have been waiting for the right time to jump in. I know nothing of the technical electrical stuff but from what I've read here and see what's available for sale. I am mechanically able to create my own set up, but I guess the question always comes back to power, and juice, which for me is still hard to determine will be enough. Below is my info, but I still need confirmation that this is suitable and/or reasonable. Thanks for the great posts. I'm still learning much.

Union Polaris sailboat
displacement type hull
36' on deck
32' waterline
22,000 lbs
perkins 4-108 (taken out)
100 gal diesel tank (taken out)

The challenge for me is to be able to mosey motor (3 knots?) out of the Alameda Estuary to the Gate and back on battery power in mild wind and at slack water. By then the batteries should be down to 80 - 70%? I will have a honda 2000 generator for anything further and to stop depleting the batteries. Speed is not so important. But I figure this is the range I'd like to make me feel comfortable on batteries only at a reasonable pace.

I'm looking at one 48 volt Etek-RT
8 - 6 volt trojans for 48 volts
mounted a la thoosa style with the pulleys and such at 2.3:1.
My prop is 15", but I don't know pitch. It is in an aperture behind the rudder.

Is this a reasonable starting point for a setup? I've seen a similar setup in the photos section in Vallejo.

Thanks for sharing.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment