Tuesday, June 23, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Battery diagnostics



"Finally - let's say you find one bad battery as I did. Are there any strategies for adding it into an existing "aged" pack."

Great question Keith. I'm dealing with that right now after finding a bad battery in one of my two banks. The bank is the newest set of batteries so it's about 9 months old.

I put a new (exact same battery) battery in the bank and tried charging. My PakTrakr showed the new battery being charged at a higher rate than the older batteries so I turned the charger off. I was told to try running the motor full out for about 15 minutes then cruise for a long time and try charging again. I did the 15 minutes full on in the slip and tried charging. It worked for a while (45 minutes?) then showed the new battery at a higher voltage (1 full volt) than the others. I turned it off. It seems it will take a while of vigilant monitoring while charging before I get a nice "patina" on the new battery so that it plays well with others :-).

Does anyone have any tricks?

Mark

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "aweekdaysailor" <aweekdaysailor@...> wrote:
>
> I'd like to add a section on my site about troubleshooting - particularly battery/range issues. But this seems like it's pretty much dark magic.
>
> To make it particularly tough I have a complex pack for both space and charging issues. It's 4 sets of (3 parallel) batteries cross-connected in series for 48V. From reading it seems this is sub-optimal but I'm not clear exactly on why (charge imbalance is the stated reason). I charge each set as a if it were a single 12V battery. One issue I suspect I face is sulfation because my charger output is so low (6amp) in comparison to the size of the set (345amp) - the batteries are sitting around in a discharged state for probably 3-4 days.
>
> I recently have been having trouble with greatly reduced range, and rapid voltage sag (like 40 down to 30 volts within 5 minutes). Reduced range I could expect due to sulfation, but the voltage sag was more troubling.
>
> First I checked water - I found a dry cell in one of my batteries a few weeks ago and thought that was the cause, but I dropped 1/3 of my pack (so now I am 4 sets of 2), that cell included, and it didn't help.
>
> Next I ran a load test after charge - couldn't see anything. (Sears has a nice 130amp load tester for about $50)
>
> Then I ran a load test after dropping the batteries pretty low. Bingo - 1 battery showing a dramatic difference. Pulled that battery and now I've got a range much closer to the predicted value (about 10AH down from "ideal"). And that's a string that has the "dry" cell battery in it (after refilling)
>
> Other than "divide and conquer", load testers, specific gravity and voltage meters - what other tools, strategies and processes can be used to diagnose battery issues?
>
> For example, I hear about "shorted" cells - what does that look like?
>
> Finally - let's say you find one bad battery as I did. Are there any strategies for adding it into an existing "aged" pack. All the stuff I've found basically says "don't do it"
>
> Thx
>
> -Keith
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Get it all here

Breaking news to

entertainment news

Yahoo! Groups

Mom Power

Just for moms

Join the discussion

Yahoo! Groups

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Discover Car Groups

Auto Enthusiast Zone

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment