Monday, June 22, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: motor overheating



Colin Girvan wrote:
> Good point Dennis, I hadn't thought about actually losing power at cruising speed. So I guess when people quote the advantage of an electric motors ability to put out 2 or 3 times its rated horsepower for short periods that it's actually a bit of a fallacy as this is not really usable power.
>
>
Depends on how long you think you will need that peak power. The motor
I used (Perm132) has a continuous rating of 110A but a peak of 200A. But
that peak is only for 10 minutes or the motor will be getting too hot.

So going to 100% overload would be fine for manoeuvring out of trouble
or docking - you would only use bursts of that full power, but would be
no good for spending an hour fighting a strong wind back into port, the
motor would start to burn.
I don't have any information on the 30 minute and 1hr ratings for my motor.

When I did the final figures on my boat - at 'cruising speed', the
electric system is using near 1/2 the kW of the former petrol engine.
(Same prop) In my case since the petrol engine didn't appear to have a
lot of head-room, I've assumed the petrol engine had to be run at higher
power simply to get the torque to turn the prop. (And the engine and
prop were supposedly a 'matched set'). The electric motor's different
torque curve causes it to have enough grunt to turn the prop at lower
power levels.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Get it all here

Breaking news to

entertainment news

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Mental Health

Learn More

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment