Sunday, June 14, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Beginners Guide



Hi Keith,

I agree that is a great source of information and thanks for the work
you did in providing it.

I still have some questions I would like to know if there is a source
for?

I belong to a few small sailboat cruising groups - generally under 20 ft
and often smaller generally using a gas outboard in the 2.5 to 5 hp
range.

Many owner/builders are interested in using electric power as back-up to
the sails. Many get caught up in the idea o f "free green power" from
the sun. Yet it seems there is not enough deck space on hulls this
small, to actually keep the batteries charged to any useful degree. So
one becomes reliant on shore power to recharge overnight and this is not
always available nor that cheap if you do find a slip with shore power.

Also there is not usually convenient space for a even a small genset,
which also requires carrying gas to run which rather negates the idea of
not using fossil fuel in the first place.

My question is then - are there solar panels efficient enough to
actually re-charge batteries on a small hull when sailing or is it
rather an "iffy" proposition?

So far, after considering all options I am considering purchasing a 4 HP
Tohatsu 4-stroke with a small alternator and remote fuel tank option.
At a displacement speed of about 3-4 knots top I could go all day in my
19 footer at about 1/3 throttle and still have gas left at the end of
the day. With a second 5 gallon gerry can, I could go twice as far and
it takes up less space than even a small genset. One deep-cycle house
battery together with a portable power pack with built-in 300 watt
inverter and a 1 amp solar panel and I even have 110 VAC power for my
laptop.

And I can stop at any nice little cozy cove and stay as long as I like
for free.

What am I missing here? Is there a better option I should be
considering? I already have a 1500 watt genset and actually have space
for it in but can't see it as even necessary. Plus it sounds quiet in
town but out in the wilderness in my plywood hull it really soundw
noisy!

Nels

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "constancedraper"
<drmark.draper@...> wrote:
>
> A great idea and service, Keith. Many thanks.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment