Monday, June 15, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Beginners Guide



Can't disagree with your findings:

See:

http://sites.google.com/site/electricboating/Home/range-optimization/solar-power

However a wind generator puts out some decent amps and is easier to fit on a small boat.

:)

-Keith

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Keith,
>
> I agree that is a great source of information and thanks for the work
> you did in providing it.
>
> I still have some questions I would like to know if there is a source
> for?
>
> I belong to a few small sailboat cruising groups - generally under 20 ft
> and often smaller generally using a gas outboard in the 2.5 to 5 hp
> range.
>
> Many owner/builders are interested in using electric power as back-up to
> the sails. Many get caught up in the idea o f "free green power" from
> the sun. Yet it seems there is not enough deck space on hulls this
> small, to actually keep the batteries charged to any useful degree. So
> one becomes reliant on shore power to recharge overnight and this is not
> always available nor that cheap if you do find a slip with shore power.
>
> Also there is not usually convenient space for a even a small genset,
> which also requires carrying gas to run which rather negates the idea of
> not using fossil fuel in the first place.
>
> My question is then - are there solar panels efficient enough to
> actually re-charge batteries on a small hull when sailing or is it
> rather an "iffy" proposition?
>
> So far, after considering all options I am considering purchasing a 4 HP
> Tohatsu 4-stroke with a small alternator and remote fuel tank option.
> At a displacement speed of about 3-4 knots top I could go all day in my
> 19 footer at about 1/3 throttle and still have gas left at the end of
> the day. With a second 5 gallon gerry can, I could go twice as far and
> it takes up less space than even a small genset. One deep-cycle house
> battery together with a portable power pack with built-in 300 watt
> inverter and a 1 amp solar panel and I even have 110 VAC power for my
> laptop.
>
> And I can stop at any nice little cozy cove and stay as long as I like
> for free.
>
> What am I missing here? Is there a better option I should be
> considering? I already have a 1500 watt genset and actually have space
> for it in but can't see it as even necessary. Plus it sounds quiet in
> town but out in the wilderness in my plywood hull it really soundw
> noisy!
>
> Nels
>
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "constancedraper"
> <drmark.draper@> wrote:
> >
> > A great idea and service, Keith. Many thanks.
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Odd News

You won't believe

it, but it's true

Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Yahoo! Groups

Mom Power

Community just for Moms

Join the discussion

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment