Wednesday, May 24, 2017

[Electric Boats] Would using a BLDC/PMAC motor and controller as a generator be a good idea?

 

I was recently asked this question by a neighbor, as we discussed pros and cons of electric drive and practical regen yields under sail. He asked if he could just turn a brushless motor with a small diesel or gas engine, and use an ordinary drive motor controller in regen mode to charge a battery bank. I told him I don't see why not, but I had no idea whether this could be done efficiently or not, compared to a purpose built DC generator. I know it would work, but how well would it work? Much better than an alternator, I would imagine, but I have doubts that it would perform as well or better than a straight DC generator. Anybody want to weigh in on this, with actual knowledge? Experience?


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment