Wednesday, February 2, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric boating association in the US?

 

GNHBus,

Once upon a time, there were tax incentives for electric car conversions. They went mostly unclaimed and once commercial conversions became available, the DIY incentives were pulled. One serious problem was the regulation of conversion standards, the government isn't going to finance conversions that might not deliver the results that they are trying to encourage. The question to ask yourself, is why would the government want to give you a tax incentive? What would they get out of it?

Then there is the problem of defining "what is electric propulsion?" When I removed my 12hp diesel and installed an electic drive sounds like a good example. How about when I bought a Torqeedo 801 to replace my 2hp dinghy outboard? Does a bow mount trolling motor on a 200hp bass boat qualify? How about hybrids, serial (electric with an onboard generator) or parallel like the recently mentioned "slow boat"?

If I'm going to petition my congressman, what would I really be asking for? This isn't exactly retorical, I have dinner scheduled with US Rep Schiff in about a month.... I know that the last thing that any of our elected officials want to hear is a vague request to "give me money".

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, GNHBus@... wrote:
>
> Most welcome, it would serve the effort well to partition politicians to
> push for TAX CREDITS for utilizing electric propulsion, this is a matter of
> RE-educating from 100 yrs ago, see the "Mary Gordan" the first e-prop
> passenger vessel, she needs to be restored.
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment