Wednesday, February 23, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: minnkota wiring

 

Thanks Carel. I'm more a "fix it" kinda guy than "replace it" kinda guy. However a new 55 lb thrust can be had for about $250, and more power would be nice. My point there is I don't want to invest much money in this thing. At any rate if I did get a controller as you suggested, I still have to determine where the wires go, that come from the motor. Of the 5 wires leading to the directional sensor at the top of the motor shaft, how many actually would lead to the motor, and where would they go on the controller?
--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Carel Ruysink" <c.ruysink@...> wrote:
>
> I think I would forget about the Minn Kota electronics and install a off the shelf RC Modelracecar or modelraceboat speedcontroller.
> They can handle currents and tensions way above any Minn Kota can ask.
> You only have to worry about ventilation/cooling of the controller.
> Controllers for cars and boats have reverse, for airplanes not (for obvious reasons).
>
> Succes, Carel.
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: lokn4fun
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:30 AM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] minnkota wiring
>
>
>
> I'm wondering if someone can find me a link to a wiring diagram to a MinnKota 865 mx Auto Pilot, 36 lb thrust. I'm not sure of the year, other that I have had it about 10 years and it was almost new when I got it. Maybe someone who knows the wiring might know if it is wired similar to other models since I have seen many wiring diagrams for other models in my google search. My problem is, the wiring cooked itself, for an unknown reason. I managed to separate the wires and dug out all the melted plastic goop enough to determine that I have two # 14 wires that have bare ends, and no obvious place where they used to go. I think one might have gone to an incinerated resister or diode. Much of the wiring I don't need since I never used the auto pilot or the foot treadle. The main wires coming from the battery ( black and red about #12 ) also melted where they used to go. As well as the wires leading to the motor ( black and red about #12), . All this was in an area, that was a base that mounted to the transom, where there was a switch for auto pilot as well as a fuel gauge. There is no reverse on this unit if that helps. There are 5 wires (besides the two #12) going to the auto pilot head and from there some go to the motor but I'm not sure how many yet. There are 7 wires leading from the glob of burnt black muck that melted, back to the variable speed controller. Like I mentioned I'm sure some of these wires can be elimated since I don't use the auto pilot. I rigged up a steering mechanism. Hope this wasn't too confusing and I appreciate any and all comments
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment