Thursday, February 24, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Batteries and Powering Them

 

Anne,

You've already got two recommendations for Dual-Pro chargers, and I concur, they are very good chargers. Dual-Pro says that they are appropriate for both FLA and AGM batteries. They have chargers that actually operate as 4 seperate 12V chargers which keeps the battery bank "in balance", i.e. keeps each battery charged to it's own needs. There are other 4 by 12V chargers out there too. One caveat is that the Dual-Pros aren't really engineered to operate as a power supply. If I remember correctly, somebody here noticed that their Dual-Pro charger would shut down due to internal programming if used to power their boat directly from a generator.

Alternatively, some of the 48V chargers can be used to drive the boat directly from a portable generator. Mike has had success with a Zivan charger (a very common charger for electric car conversions) and Elcon PFC chargers have been used similarly. I own an Elcon PFC2000+ but haven't needed to drive the boat from the generator yet. Sometime this spring, I'll have to motor somewhere far enough away (instead of sailing) to use my Yamaha to drive the boat for a while to see how the generator and charger interact with each other while under way. I'll report my results here, of course.

There are a number of options for chargers, in your case, you just want to confirm that your choice will work with both FLA and AGM batteries, which is a very common feature, usually with a setting or switch. Any vendor that is selling you a charger should be able to provide that information.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "amracel@stuffandjunk.net" <amracel@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for all the information, folks.
>
> Jim, I have a 1975 CAL 2-29. I've purchased an Electric Yacht 180ibl. I took the old Westebeke out when it died last year. I explained to the marina last year that I was eventually going to replace the onboard, so the plug and patch they put in place of the prop should be easily removed. But it's still a cost.
>
> The generator does sound like a good idea. As for the solar panels, I envisioned building a removable platform off the transom, if the size wasn't outrageous. Otherwise, there's plenty of foredeck if I don't have to be worried about them being stepped on.
>
> If I do just get two more deep-cycles for now, will I need a different charger once I go for something better? What would you recommend in terms of a charger?
>
> Anne
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment