Monday, February 28, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Rewiring DC electric system and Grounding

 



I looked over the diagram and I think I understand it (to an extent). First I have no ground from shore power. I have no other grounding, other than return to negative terminal. I have been reading Nigel Calder "Boat Owner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" 2nd edition. In this book it stressed the importance of keeping Insulated negative back to negative terminal of battery to reduce the chance of stray current. The AC is not connected to DC in any matter now since there is no common ground connection. Therefore, the ground fault protection from the dock is what is relied on. I have not noticed any stray current around the boat nor any galvanic corrosion. Lastly, this will be the 4th season with this motor/electrical setup (Mark thanks for keeping me in check, my how time goes by). It would be great to hear how others have their boats wired for ground.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <boat_works@...> wrote:
>
> Well, since nobody else has taken the bait, I gave it a go. Unfortunately you have to work with my handwriting which has never been particularly legible...
>
> Look for "AC DC wiring" in the files section (in a few minutes).
> -Tom
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "acsarfkram" <acsarfkram@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > Good question. I'll be interested to see some responses.
> >
> > 5 years? I thought we installed around the same time 4/08.
> >
> > Mark
> > Santa Cruz
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holt" <drmsudo@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am replacing the electric panel on my aged ericson 27. I replaced the old A4 5 years ago with an electric. In removing the old motor, I lost my common ground to the engine. In place I bolted a bus bar that is by the old motor compartment and have used this. I have not had any problems so far. The boat is in fresh water and I have never had corrosion issues or noticed stray electric current around the boat. Now that I am replacing the panel I am looking to clean up the old wiring. I will also be adding a few things (ie. stereo, gps) and want to ensure that the boat and its wiring are up to par. I would like to hear some ideas or examples of working wiring systems and how they are grounded for DC house, electric motor, and shore power. Thanks for any and all that can help me out.
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment