Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] picking a vendor

 

Technical info is always great reading, decision making is interesting too, the advent of electric propulsion reminds me a bit of when my parents decided to invest in a desk top computer,took them about a year to decide,  they are the last couple on the planet to still be using a rotary dial telephone, to this day you can't give either one of them a cell phone. Everything is relative, electric propulsion technology is basically 100 yrs old, yet I see people talking like it just came from NASA. Your decision to select a vendor, then one vendor over another, makes me wonder why you selected one vendor over the other ?
Battery Technology becomes the crux of the whole application, the $ 9300 for 6.2kw Corvus-Energy technology really makes a statement.
I was in a lengthy heated discussion with a staunch ICE guy last night, of course politics had to roll into it, I stopped him dead in his tracks with a simple question, " Did you ever purchase a radio controlled toy vehicle for your kid(s) ? "   Yes, replied, wasn't much more he said on the subject, we moved on to latest investment opportunities. The Europeans & Chinese have the best view of our ignorance.



-----Original Message-----
From: Q Scott Kaye <qskaye@gmail.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Mon, Feb 21, 2011 4:25 pm
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] picking a vendor

 
I haven't received the cover yet as EY is sending me that along with its custom BMS shortly.   I believe I am the first person to purchase this unit as I originally ordered the discontinued brush version mid ranged model and after some discussion on range and batteries I decided to wait for the 360 and do 48 volts at 320 ah lipo4 .  A buddy in SF has the same boat and is now installing a 360 as well, he helped me with my install and liked it so much he went with EY as well. 

I haven't used it that much yet but it's just an aux for getting out of the harbor for me.  Customer service has been great and I met the owner Scott mccmillian  at the San diego boat show the other week. Current there are about 100 installs of EY motors according to Scott. I also met one of the first purchases at the boat show and had dinner with him and his wife, he appears to be very satisfied- he has an ericson 27 - -A bit smaller than my 40 foot 27,000lb ketch. 
   I don't really have anything to compare it to given that this is my first electric propulsion system but so far I am happy.  I also looked at the thoosa and decided to go with the EY system.  If you have any questions feel free to email me. 

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 21, 2011, at 11:13 AM, James Sizemore <james@deny.org> wrote:

 
Thanks a lot for the pictures.  Did you leave it open to the air of install the "slash" box that came with it?  I wondered if the slash box would interfere or help with engine cooling.  Have you had a chance to do any extended cruising on electric power?  Or do you just use it for leaving the dock? 

Have you been happy with your purchase so far?   Sorry for all the questions, but your the first one I know of that has installed this unit, and it is very high on my buy list.  

And the market is such on these engines that you can not  go on Amazon and see how many stars the previous buyers gave it.  Although I think it would be a good idle for some of the sellers of electric motors to list there products on Amazon it is a great way to get you products out there and it cost nest to nothing to be a Amazon seller.  




On Feb 21, 2011, at 12:49 PM, Q Scott QSK wrote:

 

Here are two pix of the 360ibl before I installed it.  Yes you are correct it is two ganged motors.
On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM, <GNHBus@aol.com> wrote:
 
It apperaed the 360ibl is actually (2) smaller motors combined or something like that, is that right John?



-----Original Message-----
From: Sally Reuther <smreuther@gmail.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, Feb 20, 2011 8:44 pm
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] picking a vendor

 
The Thoosa 9000 (9kw) is still 48 volts.  The next larger size is the 12000 (12kw) and goes up to 72 volts.  You might also look at the specs for the Thoosa 7000HT (7kw high torque) which is just over that size you are looking for.  

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 3:04 AM, James Sizemore <james@deny.org> wrote:
 
The only advantage I see that Electric Yacht has over the others right now is in one category. The 360ibl is the most HP (17SHP) at 48 volts on the marine market.  So for those with large boats that want a drop in option then EY is the only option that I know of.    Around 10 SHP  most of the rest have good options and all of them have 5SHP options.  

If any one knows of other 20HP or more 48volt kits,  I would personally like to know.    

On Feb 18, 2011, at 5:11 PM, Eric wrote:

 
John,

I don't see that Electric Yacht offers any particular benefit that the other vendors often mentioned on this list do not offer as well. They all have "turn-key" products with proven track records, high quality products, documented performance, warranties and satisfied customers.

I think that each reader should research each of the major vendors like Electric Yacht, Advanced Marine, Annapolis Hybrid (ASMO), Solid Nav or Propulsion Marine and choose the one that meets their personal selection criteria. Keep in mind that each of these vendors are members here too.

If you have installed a particular system in your own boat, then you should discuss your direct experience. But you should be careful to not declare any particular solution as "better" unless you've got first-hand experience to back that up.

I know that the group owner is not interested in making this group a place for dealers to troll for customers.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, John Raynes <johncraynes@...> wrote:
>
> I am a dealer for "Electric Yacht" but that is not what is important here.
> Look at "Electric Yachts" track record, quality, performance, warranty and
> experience customers have are all reasons to buy their product.
>
> John Raynes
> Electric Boat Drives
>
>
> >
> > John,
> > Why are you suggesting Electric Yacht ? What are the benefits compared to
> > the other "turn key" Vendors mentioned on this forum ?
> >







__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment