Monday, February 21, 2011

[Electric Boats] starting my conversion in earnest tomorrow

 

I was planning on waiting until the end of summer to start my electric conversion, but "fortune smiles on the prepared" and now I've started. Tomorrow will be the first major milestone, as I have to get the motor out and on the dock for delivery to the new owner. Nothing like a deadline to guarantee some sort of impending problem.

I'm going with a Propulsion Marine 5KW system. After what seems like endless research, I've decided to go with a commercial system rather than roll my own (which is very unlike me, as I almost always can manage to spend twice as much figuring it out myself). I've seen the system in action (James' boat is just across the harbor from mine), and am looking forward to making the switch.

I will be doing the majority of my own install, so I will no doubt be able to increase the cost with a few mistakes along the way.

I'll be documenting the conversion as I go. Just for info, I have a 1984 Catalina 30, a bit over 10k displacement (she's got a lot of junk in her). The 12v system is already pretty much done (rewired, LED lights, battery monitor system, etc.) The boat is used quite a bit for day sailing, but her real purpose is for multi-day excursions out to the islands.

Josh

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment