Thursday, August 6, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Solid Nav question for new boat

 

Aaron,

what information can I give you?

I installed my SolidNav as a replacement to a westerbeke diesel that
was a replacement to an atomic 4 that the boat originally came with
(35 year old boat) -- when the previous owner re-powered with the
westerbeke they cut out part of the motor mounts so I had to bridge
part the engine bed. I used some aluminum angle stock and it all went
together relatively easily.

my current set up has 4 12 volt deep cycles that I bought at sams club
for approximately $60 apiece so my reserve capacity isn't much (125
amp hours I believe)-- but I have purchased another 4 that I am going
to add to double my range -- I have tested it in my marina and the
lake (clear lake -- south of Houston) but I haven't taken it farther
(the lake is connected to galveston bay) since I am refitting my boat
and dont have a mast or sails on it yet. In testing it seems to be
able to do about 4.5 to 5 knots sustained without any issue.

On Aug 6, 2009, at 2:28 PM, Aaron Williams wrote:

> Lamar
>
> Could I get more info on how well your system works on the 36?
> thanks
> Aaron
>
> --- On Thu, 8/6/09, Lamar Felder <lamarfelder@digitalsaviour.com>
> wrote:
>
> From: Lamar Felder <lamarfelder@digitalsaviour.com>
> Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Solid Nav question for new boat
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Thursday, August 6, 2009, 11:08 AM
>
>
>
> Richard,
>
> I installed a solidnav system in my boat and was amazed at how easily
> installed it was -- it really was a drop in situation -- it took much
> longer to get the diesel out than to get the new motor in. I also am
> very impressed with the build quality of the unit -- everything is
> compact and robust. If you get the system I would recommend some sort
> of battery monitor as it doesnt include one -- I am ordering a
> Paktrakr for my system as that looks to be the best bang for the buck
> as far as monitors go. My system is set up using the least expensive
> lead acid deep cells I could find and it works great in my columbia
> 36.
>
> On Aug 6, 2009, at 1:19 PM, Richard W. Sanders II wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I apologize in advance because I have discussed this unit here
> > before and I know there are old posts, but my on-line time is
> limited.
> > My wife and I are working toward the purchase of a new Compac 27. We
> > are definitely going electric. My prior research (which was about a
> > year or two ago) indicated that the Solid Nav unit was the most
> > reasonable in price and was the best fit for a "drop in" new
> > installation.
> > The folks at Compac were impressed when they talked to the
> > representative (they had a bad experience with the re-e-power and
> > were hesitant about the electric motor).
> > Has there been any new products that are as good a match as the
> > Solid Nav in terms of ease of installation, price, and you don't
> > need to be an electronic engineer to run and maintain the system?
> > Thanks,
> > Richard
> >
> >
> >
>
> Lamar Felder
> lamarfelder. com >> design + technology
> 713 517 0516
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

Lamar Felder
lamarfelder.com >> design + technology
713 517 0516

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment