Sunday, August 16, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Portable chargers?

 

I have been playing with this a bit as well. I have (3) 1200watt 48VDC telecom power supplies (very nice integral fans, etc). I hooked them up without the batteries to my 1600watt generator. Ran fine up to about 30amps (1500 watts) - that killed the engine. This is a conventional generator, but I think load will always lug the engine to die on any of them - even hondas.

I also have run the same setup with the batteries (only good for bulk charging), and it's interesting -- on a depleted bank with only 1 unit (1200watt or 24amp), as I throttle up - engine pitch changes at about 15amps - so 9amps going into the batteries seems to be the "sweet spot" for charge acceptance on that bank.

-Keith

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>
> Myles,
>
> That's good news to me. My proposed chargers are (2) 48v - 15A units, 30A into 48v, the same 1440w total. I hope that the Dual Pro chargers are as efficient as your chargers are.
>
> The second battery bank and charger will be added after the boat is converted and operating again, so I'll get a chance to check out how the charger performs ahead of time, while I still have only one bank.
>
> Eric
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Myles Twete" <matwete@> wrote:
> >
> > Eric-
> >
> > I have driven 2 chargers with my EU2000i Honda successfully all day long.
> >
> > It is critical to be able to adjust how much you draw from the Honda.as
> > example, plugging in a 20a, 36v charger only partially loaded the genset.
> >
> > Adding a 28-amp 36v charger brought the genset to its knees and it quickly
> > shut down with the overload light coming on.
> >
> > I removed one of my 4amp Vicor charger modules---same story.
> >
> > I removed another one.at that point the Honda was able to steadily deliver
> > 40amps into my 36v bank---i.e. 1440w continuous (to the batteries) was about
> > all the Honda EU2000i was able to deliver (probably 1.6kw to the chargers)
> > and is about spec.
> >
> > SO no, you won't be able to plug 2- 48v, 20amp chargers in at one time
> > unless you can throttle one back.
> >
> >
> > -Myles Twete, Portland, Or.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment