Sunday, August 23, 2009

[Electric Boats] Desulfators (seem to) work?

 

I've mentioned my battery woes before so won't go into details. But I bought a cheap desulfator on eBay figuring it was a low-risk experiment. Well, it actually seems to be working -- albeit slowly. I've gained about 5AH on a pack (same amp-draw test, same charging regimen, etc) in about 2 weeks of operation. I still have a long way to go to get back to full capacity, but am encouraged so far.

The test is I run at continuous 40amp draw measuring the voltage at 5AH increments (this is a 48V 230AH pack). I stop the test when the voltage (under that load) is 40V. What I see is an exponential decay, unlike a fresh battery which is nearly linear. Where the desulfator (often also spelled desulphator) seems to take effect is in the initial dis-charge - which shows a longer period of linear voltage drop.

I still maintain a seperate bank of new batteries (which gives about the same energy as the sick bank 2X larger)

I'm sure this will spark a debate, but at $15 it was worth a shot.

-Keith

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Fashion News

What's the word on

fashion and style?

Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

A community for

small business owners

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment